[Solved] Python upgrade

Lithonian

Hello,

I'm wondering if the new server will have an upgraded version of Python system-wide?

I remember reading on another post about CentOS having outdated Python RPMs, but you could try something like this, as Python 2.4 is really starting to show its age.

From browsing the forums, I think quite a few people will be looking to have a newer Python version, so it would be good if you had time to install it system-wide. A new server is just the right time to try something that might break! :D

Thanks.

Is there a particular application you need the newer Python for? Often, it's easier to just install the new library for the older version.

Not particularly, it's just the new language features, and that an upgrade to Python 3 will be necessary at some point. But I do see your point!

I also have an obsession with new stuff (I like updating my personal WordPress install to the nightlies every week or two :)), which obviously isn't appropriate in a production hosting environment. :D

With the new server, you'll be able to compile your own library... so I think you might want to until then. Meanwhile, I think we're going to stay with a single Python 2.4 installation on Stevie.

With the new server, you'll be able to compile your own library... so I think you might want to until then. Meanwhile, I think we're going to stay with a single Python 2.4 installation on Stevie.

That's good news! As far as I can tell, the new server won't be years away. :D

Thanks.