[Solved] My e-mail address not accepted

herouth

Hello.

I tried to register for free php hosting, and used an e-mail address that contains a plus sign "+". The site registration form claims that this is invalid. However, this is completely valid according to the standard. Moreover, it's the same mail address that I used to register to the forums.

What's your email?

Well, as a matter of personal policy, I don't want to publish it in any public place. But it is something+something at gmail dot com. (Where "something" is a string of English lowercase letters).

What's your email?

Well, as a matter of personal policy, I don't want to publish it in any public place. But it is something+something at gmail dot com. (Where "something" is a string of English lowercase letters).

Gmail doesn't let you use "+". How did you manage to pull that off?

What's your email?

Gmail doesn't let you use "+". How did you manage to pull that off?

As a matter of fact, it lets you. It's a neat advantage of using gmail, which I use to track the origin of spam. Suppose your e-mail is foobar at gmail dot com. You can send mail to any address in the form foobar+something at gmail dot com, and the mail will arrive at the same account, namely foobar at gmail dot com. You can then define filters based on the address used, or you can look at the headers of your spam to see which of the variants was used in the spam.

So, whenever any web site asks me to register, I can give it a unique email address. If I start receiving spam through that unique email address, I know who the #%@@ who sold them my e-mail was.

Your still gonna have to use another email provider.

Why? Can't the registration page be fixed to respect the standard? My point in complaining was that, contrary to this PHPBB forum, the registration site is using a validity test which doesn't respect Internet standards.

I have a very similar problem. I am trying to register with heliohost also with a gmail mail account but I get the same error message.

Warning: eregi() [function.eregi]: REG_ERANGE in /usr/local/cpanel/base/scripts/signup.php on line 76

We're sorry, but that is an invalid email address. Please go back and correct it.

I do NOT have any special characters in my email address: Simply: "8-characters"@gmail.com

I also tried "same"@hotmail.com but get the same error again.

Thanks

Hmm... is it working now?

Just tried it again....no luck:

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: range out of order in character class at offset 22 in /usr/local/cpanel/base/scripts/signup.php on line 76

We're sorry, but that is an invalid email address. Please go back and correct it.

If it's relevant I am using my own purchased domain with a top level of .ca and choosing "Other" for the dropdown.

Hmm... is it working now?

Just tried it again....no luck:

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: range out of order in character class at offset 22 in /usr/local/cpanel/base/scripts/signup.php on line 76

If it's relevant I am using my own purchased domain with a top level of .ca and choosing "Other" for the dropdown.

Same issue here. I'm trying to use a .org domain. The exact error I get is: