A few questions

Saare

Hi guys,

i've just got my account and i have some questions.

1. In what folder should my files go into? WWW or public_html?

2. In both directories there are some files and folders i do not recognize. for example, "_private", "_vti_bin", "cgi-bin", "images", "_vti_inf.html", "postinfo.html". can i remove them?

3. Is there anything inside the .htaccess file i should keep or can i empty it and put my own code?

That's all for now..

Thanks!

1. In what folder should my files go into? WWW or public_html?

All of your files for public viewing go inside of your public_html folder, but you will see them if you access your pages using the www.

2. In both directories there are some files and folders i do not recognize. for example, "_private", "_vti_bin", "cgi-bin", "images", "_vti_inf.html", "postinfo.html". can i remove them?

Keep you cgi-bin. All the others are FrontPage Extension folders except the images and need to be deleted through the cpanel. Look for FrontPage Extensions at your cpanel and Uninstall them there.

3. Is there anything inside the .htaccess file i should keep or can i empty it and put my own code?

Not after you uninstall FrontPage Extensions, except for what files may or may not be displayed through directory listing. I myself just deleted what was in the htaccess and aded my own code.