Addon "Domain already exists"

mariusm98

I have registered the domain "fortalezarooms.com" with a registrar.

I want to host it at Heliohost.org, and I am trying to use the "Addon domains" function in Cpanel X.

I enter the following information:

New Domain Name: fortalezarooms.com

Subdomain/Ftp Username: fortalezarooms

Document Root:[home] /public_html/fortalezarooms.com

I the generate a password and click "add domain".

Then I get this error message.

"Error from domain wrapper: Domain already exists, it was not added.: fortalezarooms.mariusm98.heliohost.org"

What is wrong here?

Marius

I think this:

Document Root:[home] /public_html/fortalezarooms.com

should be without the .com because it's a folder in your public_html directory

Document Root:[home] /public_html/fortalezarooms

Go ahead and try to create it without the .com and create the directory fortalezarooms in your public_html directory and see if that works for you. This is assuming that you want fortalezarooms.com as a sub domain and not as your real (parked) domain?

I don't think he wants it as a parked domain??? I think he wants it as a sub domain???

fortalezarooms.mariusm98.heliohost.org

Thanks for your suggestion. I keep getting the same error message, however. Could it have anything to do with the settings at the registrar? I reconfigured the nameservers to ns1/2.heliohost.org several days ago.

As to addon versus parked, I am not all that experienced to make a qualified choice, but I have an impression that addons are overall more flexible.

Marius

You have your ns settings fine at your registrar.

The difference in a parked domain and an addon domain is that a parked domain covers your entire site and an addon domain only covers a directory on your site. If you set it for an addon domain it creates a directory called fortalezarooms in your public_html and that becomes a sub domain of mariusm98.heliohost.org. Has it's on ftp and cgi-bin.

Seems we are having a few issues right now that sould be resolved soon. Just be patient for the aministrator to check into your problem.

Seems we are having a few issues right now that sould be resolved soon. Just be patient for the aministrator to check into your problem.

The problem persists. Any news on this issue?

What I observe when I attempt this addon is that whatever I type after "public_html/" in the box for "document root" will appear as a new subfolder of the "public_html"-folder in cPanel.

Marius

Thanks for the explanation of the difference between Parked and Add on Domains byron I have been trying to get my head round the difference.

My question is this:

If I wish to move a website to this host but the DNS is pointing to the existing site and I cannot get either Parked or Add on Domain set up until I point the DNS to this domain.

My problem with this is I need to get the files transfered to this domain prior to switching the DNS.

Would creating a folder in public_html with the existing site name work so that I can upload the files to that folder and config the configuration to the imported database which would then give me a smooth switch over, or do I simply have to wait until the DNS switches then deal with everything meaning the site will be down for an hour or so?

Would creating a folder in public_html with the existing site name work so that I can upload the files to that folder and config the configuration to the imported database which would then give me a smooth switch over, or do I simply have to wait until the DNS switches then deal with everything meaning the site will be down for an hour or so?

You can do that. You should be able to create the addon domain without your domain pointing to it. And then after all your files are uploaded you just point the domain to heliohost and after about 24hrs your domain is pointing to heliohost instead of the old server. I used to have another site a few months ago that I would switch my domain name back and forth to when one was having problems, but now I'm totally heliohost. :)

Maybe this will help you understand the difference in a Parked domain and an Addon.

Parked:

http://bybyron.uni.cc/

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/

Addon:

http://alpha1omega.uni.cc/

http://byrondallas.heliohost.org/alpha1omega/

http://alpha1omega.byrondallas.heliohost.org/