Trouble getting started

PicklePatch

Hi all.

First off I'm sorry if this is the incorrect forum for this thread. I am completely new to all of this - i.e. have never created or had my own website before.

I have managed to get to the point where I can log into my cpanel but once there I do not know what to do to get my site up and running. I have created a basic site (images and text only) from the templates at Yola.com and I have downloaded them to my computer. Now what? how do I upload what I have to Heliohost?

Barring that ( if for some reason I cannot upload the site I've assembled) Then how do I go about creating one?

Pease keep in mind that I am completely new to this and using a template probably the best option for me at this stage.

Thanks in advance. And Again if I've put this in the wrong spot I am reeeaally sorry!

Guest JF_Sly
Hi all.

First off I'm sorry if this is the incorrect forum for this thread. I am completely new to all of this - i.e. have never created or had my own website before.

I have managed to get to the point where I can log into my cpanel but once there I do not know what to do to get my site up and running. I have created a basic site (images and text only) from the templates at Yola.com and I have downloaded them to my computer. Now what? how do I upload what I have to Heliohost?

Barring that ( if for some reason I cannot upload the site I've assembled) Then how do I go about creating one?

Pease keep in mind that I am completely new to this and using a template probably the best option for me at this stage.

Thanks in advance. And Again if I've put this in the wrong spot I am reeeaally sorry!

Well you have a couple of options. Under the Cpanel, there is a File manager Option. This will allow you to "upload" your files to the site. However this would be a slower process. The faster and more efficient way would be to use a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) program. There are many FTP programs available (Some free and some not). I currently use FTP Surfer (It is a free one). Whith this method/route, you can upload all the files at once to your site. Setting up The FTP surfer is really easy to do. All you need is you username and password (which you already have) for your heliohost account. It will then connect you. You will then see several folders. Select the Public_html folder. Once there, you can then drag & drop your files from your computer to the public_html folder. You will want to remember to upload the .html (or .htm, .shtml) files using the ASCII setting. Pictures/graphix should be uploaded using binary mode. In FTP Surfer there is a button to toggle between ASCII & Binary mode.

Once all your files are uploaded, you should be able to just go to your web site URL (Address) and the page should be there. Make sure the main page for your site is called index.html (or .htm, .shtml depending on the type of files you have) or home.html