ImageMagick

tablecat

Hi, I'm trying to thumbnail PDF using ImageMagick but I am unable because -thumbnail appears to do nothing.

I've tried this on a seperate free web host just to check if it wasn't just me messing up, and it worked.

It is also worth noting that I can, in fact, thumbnail images on this server. My only issue here is trying to thumbnail PDF files, which I haven't been able to on this server.

convert -thumbnail 200x200 -colorspace rgb -quality 70 test.pdf test.gif

I've tried other methods such as:

convert -size 200x200 -geometry 200x200! -colorspace rgb -quality 70 test.pdf test.gif

This does correctly thumbnail the PDF to the appropriate dimmensions, however, the image is all black!

I would like to know what the issue is here. Thanks.

I don't have a pdf file to try so I can't say this works for sure. Try using the Imagick Class.

<?php
$thumb = new Imagick("your_image.pdf");
$thumb->thumbnailimage(200, 200, TRUE);
$thumb->setformat("gif");
$thumb->writeimage("thumb_nail.gif");
?>

Keeping it TRUE will produce a thumb that is proportional. Removing TRUE will force height and width.

Also, how is PHP ImageMagick working without Ghostscript?

It doesn't because it has nothing to do with the programming language. ImageMagick uses Ghostscript for thumbnailing PDF files. ImageMagick is called by a covert command, which has nothing to do with programming language used to call the command in the first place. Observe:

[17-Sep-2009 15:41:58] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'ImagickException' with message 'Postscript delegate failed '