Python version

asavar

Hi!

What's your Python version policy? Will you upgrade Python? As I know, 2.4.3 has buffer overflow issue on unicode strings...

I have already got accustomed to new Python features :), but if you've installed this version for some good reasons or because of technical difficulties, I will not annoy you with my grumble.

Oh, and same questions about django.

Thanks.

I'm looking into this right now. I'll let you know if we can upgrade.

UPDATE

Unfortunately, the folks over at CentOS say we should stay at 2.4.3 because of compatibility issues. Sorry. As for Django... we're running 1.0.0, and the newest version is 1.0.2. Is there really anything you need from the newer version?

UPDATE

Unfortunately, the folks over at CentOS say we should stay at 2.4.3 because of compatibility issues. Sorry. As for Django... we're running 1.0.0, and the newest version is 1.0.2. Is there really anything you need from the newer version?

Actually I use django.contrib.comments which has some improvements added in 1.0.1 version, such as RSS fixes and i18n, and in this version about 200 bugs was fixed. But it breaks support to some 0.96-style parameters.

Actualy I would pretty happy if you upgrade but if you not I can rewrite some small parts of code for compatibility, I've just started developing a site.

As for Python, the one real thing from newer versions I used to is exeptions with except and finally blocks in same try, but I can simply avoid it.

• 6 months later...

UPDATE

Hi!

I just found this statement about Python 2.4.3 . This version of python is pretty old, and there has already been a new major release (python 3) which is incompatible with python 2 as it uses new syntax. But wouldn't it be possible to install both, the old compatible python 2.4.3 and the new python 3.1 version side by side? Users would then be able to select the proper interpreter using the shebang syntax when executing scripts via the cgi interface.

regards,

Korexio

UPDATE

Are the folks over at CentOS saying we should stay at 2.4 yet?I think you should at least upgrade to 2.5.Please look into it again

• 3 weeks later...