Setting up email handling

Mark Wilding

I'm trying to set up various filters on emails coming to the domain names I have pointing to my Heliohost account (as addon domains, e.g. markandhanna.co.uk). What I actually want to do is forward any messages coming to particular addresses to different email addresses (e.g. mark@markandhanna.co.uk forwarding to my personal email address).

The first thing I tried was setting the default address for one of the domains in cPanel. I chose the "forward to email address" option and this didn't seem to work. The "discard with error to sender" option, however, did exactly what it should have done and I got the failure message bouncing back correctly.

I then thought I'd try setting this domain back to the default email account. The help text in cPanel tells you you can put your username in the "forward to email address" field to direct messages to your default account, as is set by default. However, the validation on this field actually prevents you from setting it to this value, since it's not a valid email address.

Firstly, how can I get this option to set back to the default (my username)? Secondly, how should I actually be going about this task? It seems to me like setting the default address for the domain to forward to my normal email account and then using forwarders to handle all other cases is the sensible way to do it. Or maybe I should be using account-level filtering.

So you are just trying to auto-forward all emails you get? I would think that Email Account Forwarders should work. Are you noticing the "Managing:" dropdown in the upper-right corner?

PS: Sorry about the late reply.

So you are just trying to auto-forward all emails you get? I would think that Email Account Forwarders should work. Are you noticing the "Managing:" dropdown in the upper-right corner?

Yes, for a start I'd like to auto-forward all emails to a single address. I've just added a new add-on domain and would like to handle the mail coming to this. I've tried setting the MX entry to point to my heliohost domain (markwilding.heliohost.org), but this does seem to have helped. The "Managing" dropdown is set to "all domains".

I'd also like to forward emails differently based on the to-address, but if I can get them coming through at all, it will be easy to configure multiple forwarders to do that, I'm sure.

PS: Sorry about the late reply.

No problem - I know you've had plenty more pressing issues to deal with.