Website acces

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie on the Internet thing and for the most of you my question will sound silly.

I wanted to create my own website and publish information on it.

But before spending lot's of money on this new website, I wanted first to try the results to the "free" channels.

So, I created a "domain name" last Saturday, "www.me.com".

According to the domain name company, registering the domain name was accepted.

But when I tried to type in the url of my domain name in my web browser, the only thing that happened was an error screen with "Address not found".

Browsing the Internet about information why my newly created website could not be found, gave me the answer that I only paid for creating a "domain name".

If I wanted to have my own website displayed on a browser, I would need to find a "web hosting" provider who would provide me with a certain amount of web space to create my own website.

I found HelioHost and tried it.

HelioHost accepted my domain name and hosted it.

I used to wizzard to configure my website and all went good.

But typing in a web browser the url "www.me.com" still gives the error "Address not found".

Can anybody help me out and eventually give me some basics about website building?

TIA

You will need to go to your registrar (company that sells domain names) and find something in your control panel about nameservers. Change them to:

ns1.heliohost.org

ns2.heliohost.org

I have been looking all over the website where I bought my domain name (domainnames.be), but cannot find the label "nameservers" or anything like that.

Can you show me how to change the redirection of my domain name as you wrote or better, would it be possible to let helionet do this"

TIA

This topic might be dead, but I will try to help anyway.

I don't know the exact definition of a NameServer, but it kind of lets a webhosting service (Helio Host) broadcast information to your domain. There is no other way for the documents you upload or create on Helio Host to be shown on your domain show without changing your nameservers.

Which registrar (mentioned above, means the company that sold you your Domain) did you see to buy your domain? For my domain I chose "GoDaddy"

For GoDaddy (this might not be the same for you) you follow this path to change your nameservers.

1. Login

2. On the site menu, I click on "Domain Manager"

3. After selecting which domain I would like to edit, I click "NameServers"

4. I erase the two namesevers that were there by default, and enter the ones that belong to Helio Host (shown here.)

5. Log Out

Your welcome, hope this helps whoever is looking at this!

~Derek

Which registrar (mentioned above, means the company that sold you your Domain) did you see to buy your domain? For my domain I chose "GoDaddy"

This thread is not yet dead, but it seems that I'm getting out of resources.

I "created" my domain with the company "domainnames.be"

As you say, domainservers may have different rules, and this one has a complete different menu as GoDaddy.

Nowhere in their menu is an option to rename the Nameservers to NS1.bla.bla or NS2.bla.bla.

I have tried to contact them by email and by fax, and the only response I have got until now is that I should register with the company "Combell" for Hosting my domain at the fabulous price of 165 Euro for the cheapest Hosting package.

I have heard that there are companies out there who takes care of changing the Name Servers, but I doubt that they will be able to do that with domainnames.be and even then, at what price?

Wow DomainNames.Be is a joke.

This is what I found in their FAQ:

How do I change the nameservers for my domain ?

After you login, select your domain name from the list. Next click on the

In case you haven't noticed, that sentence doesn't make sense at all

Since theres not much that I can do as I do not own a domain with DomainNames.Be, you should bring their attention to the forgotten FAQ entry on how to change NameServers. You should also ask them how to change your nameservers since the FAQ doesn't help at all :(

~Derek

Wow DomainNames.Be is a joke.

I realised that too.

AFTER I registered a Domain Name with them.

This is what I found in their FAQ:

How do I change the nameservers for my domain ?

After you login, select your domain name from the list. Next click on the

In case you haven't noticed, that sentence doesn't make sense at all

Most of their FAQ site is the same as the one you quote.

And most of the links on their website don't work or send you back to the contact page.

Since theres not much that I can do as I do not own a domain with DomainNames.Be, you should bring their attention to the forgotten FAQ entry on how to change NameServers. You should also ask them how to change your nameservers since the FAQ doesn't help at all :(

~Derek

I have been doing the last few day nothing else.

Sending emails, faxes and even registered letters.

All at no aval.

The only response I've got from them to an email I posted 3 days prior to their response was that I should register for a Hosting package at Combell (which seems to be the same company) at an outrageous price.

Mail PM'd to you.

• 3 weeks later...

when i try to change the nameservers from the registrar's site, the site asks for an IP along with the nameserver as you can see in the pic.

i didn't find any IP in the heliohost site for their nameservers

any help here?

http://i38.tinypic.com/xm8upc.jpg

edit: what do i put in the first box? full nameserver name? ex. ns1.heliohost.org

then the nameserver will be named ns1.heliohost.org.sonneti.gr

i don't think that is correct

ps. i used the name sonneti.gr to register to heliohost. will www.sonneti.gr be a valid url as well?

thank you

edit2. it was the downtime of the server that caused theproblem. it works now