Helionet forum registration

Upendran

I found it extremely difficult to register in the forums due to highly unreadable CAPTCHA image. Attempts to register keep on returning an error message stating that the registration code does not match the image. I suspect some other problem too. Even in cases where myself and another person could read the image clearly, the same error message returned.

I tried all sorts of tricks like copying the image to a photo editor, enhance the image, change to grey scale etc. I took the help of another person to ensure that both of us see the same code. Nothing worked.

After sustained attempts (I lost count) for an hour or so the registration was accepted. This time I entered the code casually without even verifying!!

Meanwhile I contacted djbob using his personal email id (Don't ask me how I got it!), sent him screen shots and copy of the CAPTCHA image. He acknowledged that there seems to be some problem and the registration goes through after a few attempts. In my case I got it right after many many attempts.

I suspect some problem in matching codes vs images. This will put off many users and you will not even know. There is no obvious method to contact / inform the admin without registering.

Um... dude, djbob is the admin here, if you've already emailed him then there's no need posting here. I've personally never had any problems with captchas except when using yahoo, but that's another story. Couldn't you have just refreshed to get a new image?

I have to concur - I signed up for the service at the weekend and it took around 20 attempts to get the right code entered.

Hadn't received any activation emails (assumed this may be related to having a Hotmail id), so tried changing my email id, this took around another 20 attempts.

Says it's case sensitive, not sure how you're supposed to differentiate between Oo0 xX vV mM kK wW uU pP zZ etc etc etc

I'm not sure what kept me actually trying over and over and over again to register. But I was really close to completely giving up on registration because the CAPTCHA system is really broken. I lost track of how many times I tried, although I did gain some hope from this forum thread (that I wouldn't get locked out trying over and over again). Even when the image was very clear, the code wouldn't be accepted.

I'm not sure what kept me actually trying over and over and over again to register. But I was really close to completely giving up on registration because the CAPTCHA system is really broken. I lost track of how many times I tried, although I did gain some hope from this forum thread (that I wouldn't get locked out trying over and over again). Even when the image was very clear, the code wouldn't be accepted.

Yeah, it's being worked on.