On ethics...

I've recently been considering writing a small book on an application of a certain philosophy. I'll tell you all more as it nears fruition.

I'm curious... Ethics.

Taken from a purely societal and not religious standpoint, it's clear that having some sort of ethical and moral backing keeps the general population from acting against society's best interests. For example, defined ethics prevent the masses from looting buildings and killing each other every day. So, that being said, my question is this:

What happens when the individual (i.e. yourself, but nobody else) decides to completely forego ethics to better themselves? This isn't considering societal constraints (like jail), but consider the hypothetical situation where you can walk all over your fellow man to get more out of life. What's stopping you from doing it if society can't stop you, if everybody else keeps acting in accordance to their own ethics, and if it's been proven that there is no afterlife?

I realize this is an extremely odd and vague question... intentionally so. Sadly, it's probably a bit hard to understand too... nevertheless, I'm curious to see your takes on it.

• 1 month later...
What happens when the individual (i.e. yourself, but nobody else) decides to completely forego ethics to better themselves?

Here are my thoughts. If they forego ethics are they really bettering themselves? I would think that while they might achieve financial gain or a higher status they are making themselves less desirable in a social context. No one would have the desire to associate with someone that steps on others to get what they want (especially those being stepped on). The old adage, although used more in scientific circles, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction", seems to apply to this situation. By not paying attention to ethics and norms they would become a societal outcast in the process of bettering themself in other ways. In fact, don't you feel that society would still be stopping them from bettering themselves? Not by using laws that say, "Hey, you can't do that!", but by using pure social pressure and lack of meaningful relationships.