Microsoft Sync

Van

Lately I've been seeing a large number of car commercials advertising the new Microsoft Sync.

In my opinion, it looks quite useful; possibly even more safe due to it freeing up people's hands!

I wouldn't mind owning a car with it.

What do you guys think? Would you like to use it, or do you think its a waste of money?

If any of you guys are currently using it, I would love to hear your input.

- ArceRC

- Van

• 1 month later...

I've never been in a vehicle with Sync, but it sounds like a pretty good idea. However, the speech recognition would need to be pretty decent - I can see people talking on their cellphones or to the rest of the people in their cars, and the system interpreting it as a music change request.

"No, I didn't say 'Thriller!'"

:D

I've never been in a vehicle with Sync, but it sounds like a pretty good idea. However, the speech recognition would need to be pretty decent - I can see people talking on their cellphones or to the rest of the people in their cars, and the system interpreting it as a music change request.

"No, I didn't say 'Thriller!'"

:D

Haha, that seems like it could be a problem... :lol:

Do you know how it works? Do you have to program your own voice, or is it truly just

smart technology?

- ArceRC

- Van

Well, I've known a few people to use disability software, where you have to tell the system to "wake up" first before it interprets any other commands. I'm guessing there's some sort of wake up command that won't come up often in normal conversations, like "SYNC, activate!" that gets the system ready.

(That kind of sounds like something the power rangers would say, though...) :P

But as far as programming your own voice, that's usually the first step with any voice recognition software. That way, your buddies won't keep changing the song from the back seat to annoy you.

Well, I've known a few people to use disability software, where you have to tell the system to "wake up" first before it interprets any other commands. I'm guessing there's some sort of wake up command that won't come up often in normal conversations, like "SYNC, activate!" that gets the system ready.

(That kind of sounds like something the power rangers would say, though...) :P

But as far as programming your own voice, that's usually the first step with any voice recognition software. That way, your buddies won't keep changing the song from the back seat to annoy you.

Oh, yeah, I guess it would be pretty mandatory to have the owner program their voice... :rolleyes:

I just remember watching the commercials on T.V. that had a car with "SYNC powered by Microsoft" and

the lady giving it commands. It looked pretty cool but I guess with all technology, there are some drawbacks.

I just read on the Microsoft SYNC website that it even translates your voice into SMS text messages for

hands-free texting... I didn't realize how much this thing can prevent accidents!

- ArceRC

- Van

I think it still has the same distractions as talking on a regular phone, because you're still talking and your mind is thinking about something else, besides driving. I think people should just deal with not talking on their phone when their driving, even through Sync.

As for the music capabilities, it sounds useful, but what if you don't know a specific song you want to listen to? Do they have a shuffle function through your voice? If they do, that's pretty awesome...

I think it still has the same distractions as talking on a regular phone, because you're still talking and your mind is thinking about something else, besides driving. I think people should just deal with not talking on their phone when their driving, even through Sync.

As for the music capabilities, it sounds useful, but what if you don't know a specific song you want to listen to? Do they have a shuffle function through your voice? If they do, that's pretty awesome...

Hmm... I would think that if you were using your music with Sync, then you would

know what songs and their names there were...

^_^

- ArceRC

- Van

Just a joke I heard.

A guy is driving his car with a voice activated radio.

He says "rock"

Some rock starts playing.

He says "techno"

Techno plays.

He almost crashes and shouts "crap!"

Rap starts playing.

Another version,

He almost hits some kids and shouts "f---ing kids!"

Michael Jackson began playing.

Sorry it's not that relevant or contributive, just something I was told.

Just a joke I heard.

A guy is driving his car with a voice activated radio.

He says "rock"

Some rock starts playing.

He says "techno"

Techno plays.

He almost crashes and shouts "crap!"

Rap starts playing.

Another version,

He almost hits some kids and shouts "f---ing kids!"

Michael Jackson began playing.

Sorry it's not that relevant or contributive, just something I was told.

Haha, that's cute. Have there been voice activated radios for cars around before SYNC was created?

- ArceRC

- Van

I already have this crap via my smartphone. Media hype is just media hype.

Wow. And I thought SYNC was first...

Maybe they're the first to integrate it within an automobile setting? :P

- ArceRC

- Van