Which Linux

rct

Meh, it really all depends on what colour you like best: Brown (GNOME), Blue (KDE), or Gray (XFCE). I like Xubuntu because it's low-memory-using and fast - a great idea if you have an old laptop. I use kosher Ubuntu because it was easiest to find, install, and use. (Plus, it's not KDE. :) )

EDIT: First on 2nd page!

Meh, it really all depends on what colour you like best: Brown (GNOME), Blue (KDE), or Gray (XFCE). I like Xubuntu because it's low-memory-using and fast - a great idea if you have an old laptop. I use kosher Ubuntu because it was easiest to find, install, and use. (Plus, it's not KDE. :) )

EDIT: First on 2nd page!

KDE > Gnome IMHO

I adore GTK+ and all, but I really don't like Gnome, It's too "simple". Linus Torvalds uses KDE. ;)

You can change the color of all the *ubuntus, what matters is your taste of DE and WM.

But right now, I'm running fluxbox on Archlinux. :D

Just to throw in my 2 cents... I had never worked with linux at all, then I installed ubuntu and I loved it. So absolutely no problems there, but I guess I still don't know much about linux. So a complete linux noob can setup and use ubuntu no problem.

I dual-boot debian and xp. I like what both operating systems have to offer, but if I'm not playing a game I'm on debian (Usually making one). I have tried a plethora of linux distros as well, but debian is my favorite.

I didn't have trouble installing any of the distros. In fact I tried about ten distros in two days (installed each next to windows). People say that linux is hard, however installing it is about as simple as installing a program on windows :)

I think the main things to keep in mind when choosing a distro are the community, the packages available for it (debian has the most packages out of any distro), and the stability you want. I don't mind running into a few problems so I run a testing/unstable mix of debian.

I highly suggest getting linux.

Joe

I think the main things to keep in mind when choosing a distro are the community, the packages available for it (debian has the most packages out of any distro)

Actually, the number of packages available from Debian can be disputed, since it separates it's dev, debug, and data files. So the actual program count might be close to that of Gentoo and Archlinux.

But I whole-heartedly agree with Joe, once you learn how to partition correctly, Linux is a cinch. I find partitioning is the most dangerous part because you can wipe out your hard drive... which I've done... multiple times. -_-

Debian seperates it's packages to save space. You don't want the source code for every program, or every program to run in debug mode. However many other distros (such as ubuntu) use the debian package system because it is so good. If there isn't a debian package in the regular repositories then you can find it in custom ones.

I like arch linux and I used to run it as well. I have rescently switched my other computer to kfreebsd (debian on the BSD kernel).

BTW Many people don't know what Ubuntu means, and I feel that I should enlighten you. It's and anceint african word which means to stupid to set up Debian :D (not that debian is hard to set up).

Joe

BTW Many people don't know what Ubuntu means, and I feel that I should enlighten you. It's and anceint african word which means to stupid to set up Debian :D (not that debian is hard to set up).

Usually a comment like that starts some kind of distribution bashing or a my Linux is better than your Linux rant. Suffice it to say I don't care one way or the other, but in defense of the Ubuntu users out there feel compelled to provide the true meaning of Ubuntu.

What does "Ubuntu" mean?

Ubuntu is an African word, which has been described as "too beautiful to translate into English". The essence of Ubuntu is that "a person is a person through other people". It describes humanity as "being-with-others" and prescribes what "being-with-others" should be all about. Ubuntu emphasises sharing, consensus, and togetherness. It's a perfect concept for Free Software and open source. Here's a great article that describes Ubuntu, which may help define it. Wikipedia also has a good definition.

It was actually kind of interesting to learn how Debian was named. Check out the Debian entry on wikipedia if you enjoy Linux trivia.