Which Linux

rct

• 2 weeks later...

rct, it depends. If you can read manuals, wikis, or sift through posts effectively, then you can handle just about any Linux distribution with ease. However, many people coming straight from Windows lack this ability. Ubuntu and co. are Linux-for-Dummies distributions, go ahead and use them.

Mandriva is good if you need something completely n00by.

Mandriva is on the exact same level as Ubuntu as far as difficulty level goes.

I, personally, would reccomend Ubuntu. Of couse, I am THE most geeky teen you will ever hear of.

If you were a true geek, you would be running a flavor of BSD on your AMD-K5.

On a side note, I believe we've already had this "what linux to use???/?///slashslashquestionmark" discussion before.

http://polishlinux.org/ is a good site to use when trying to find the right linux/unix distro. It has a quiz where it tries to find the right one for you, as well as a list of each of their features and how hard they may be for you to install/use as well as what kind of graphical interface they use.

Polishlinux.org is brilliant, and they have pretty screenshots ^^;

Linux is all about how much you want to work. The less lazy you are, the better chance that you'll like it/be successful with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This topic comes up quite often on linux forums. You'll find many opinions already posted and probably still be just as confused when it comes to picking one since everyone has their own point of view. Hardware is normally not an issue, it will do fine with just about any availabe distribution. One suggestion would be to try out some of the LiveCD's that are available and pick one you like. I'm sure a google search of Linux LiveCD will bring out plenty of hits.

Other things you might want to consider is where are you going from here? If you are just out to explore most likely any distribution would fit your needs. If you would like to learn about Linux for a possible job in the future I know RHEL and SUSE are in use at many businesses. There are others of course, but that is what I've seen.

My personal opinion is Fedora, but I'm a little biased having started with Red Hat Linux 4.2 back in 1997. I've tried Ubuntu, SUSE, Gentoo, Whitebox, and a few others. I always seem to come back to Fedora. Probably because of familiarity and a helpful user community. An active and friendly user community is important. I've found Ubuntu and Gentoo communities good as well. I can't comment on the others.

• 1 month later...

These days, there's really no "Configuring" to Ubuntu that I can recall (as of 8.04 Hardy Heron, that is.) You pick whether you want Gnome, KDE, or X. You burn it to a CD, make a partition (if you're going to dual-boot), install. Run, set up an account, use. That's it. (Then again, I do my Linux-ing from inside Sun's VirtualBox, so a hard install may be different.) I would recommend Ubuntu for a first-time Linux-er.

Like others have said, try lots of LiveCDs first to determine which you like. /shrug