• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
At present, obtaining the parts for a Model 1 will cost $2300 if you buy them from the vendors yourself, or a bit more if you order a complete kit from Koba

Hmmm...

Although the idea is quite clever, and the actual 'printed' objects look nice, I think

that a 'Fabber' in everyones home is just a bit unrealistic.

I just don't see your 'average Joe' scrounging up enough dough to buy this little charm.

Unless I was trying to do something specific, I would probably spend my money on something

a little more practical.

- ArceRC

- Van

Looks cool

what sort of materials can be used

I'd buy one if it got cheaper

What materials can be used with a Model 1?

The 1-Syringe Tool of a Model 1 is designed to work with almost any kind of liquid or paste that you can imagine dispensing from a syringe. We have tried using household silicone rubber caulk, epoxy, cheese, chocolate (with a small heater attached to the syringe tool), cake frosting, ceramic clay (when mixed with sufficient water), PlayDoh, gypsum plaster. This is merely a list of the materials we have had time to play with - many, many more materials are possible, and it is the intent of Fab@Home to make it easy for you to try your own materials. A good material is soft/fluid enough to push through a syringe, but firm enough that it will "stack up". See the Model 1 User Manual for info on setting up a new material.

Well, it looks like anything it can use isn't really practical for building serious items.

- ArceRC

- Van

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, yet not too practical. I'm sure at some point in the future, everybody will have one and they'll be as commonplace as an inkjet nowadays, but that might take a long time. For now, I really don't see too much of a use for em, at least in a mainstream market.

Interesting, yet not too practical. I'm sure at some point in the future, everybody will have one and they'll be as commonplace as an inkjet nowadays, but that might take a long time. For now, I really don't see too much of a use for em, at least in a mainstream market.

Was it uncommon at one point for the average person to own an inkjet when they

first hit the market?

Was there a common household printer before the inkjet?

- ArceRC

- Van

• 2 months later...

I agree with Van on this one. In ten years, it may be possible to order, say, a mug design off the internet for your fabber. Put in a Fabbo-Matic © brand Fabber Material block, and hit the print button. Now, for $11.95, you have a mug. These days (in 2008), you order it... then wait 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. A fabber in every home would do the same thing as a printer in every home would.