500 Internal Server Error When Navigating To Perl Scripts

strsntn

I'm trying to host a bulletin board system called Kareha (http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/web/wakaba_kareha), the core of which is a series of Perl scripts. The install is supposed to be quite simple: configure the settings, upload the files in their own folder, set the permissions, and make sure the scripts have the right hashbang to start (I've got #!/usr/bin/perl ).

At that point one should be able to navigate to the kareha.pl file and all should be in working order, but instead I find the 500 Error page glaring at me. Not only that, but the cPanel Errors window seems only to recognize the most trivial problem:

(. . .) AH00128: File does not exist: /home/strsntn/public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://treechannel.heliohost.org/tree/

So far I've tried: using the cgi-bin folder (which I now understand does not play nice with non-script files), as well as the folder I've created; processing the files to remove DOS line endings; adding hashbangs even to the Perl scripts that didn't feature them to begin with; and adding -w to both the originally "hashbanged" files and, after, to all of them. For reference, the bulletin file in question is: http://treechannel.heliohost.org/tree/kareha.pl

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the verbosity—I hope I've made the problem sufficiently clear!

-----------------------------

Edit: The issue may be in the following lines, which I have added to my .htaccess file:

Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl

Edit: The issue may be in the following lines, which I have added to my .htaccess file:

Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl

You don't need to add these two lines.

You had the wrong folder permissions on your tree folder (all folders should have 755 permissions) and you may have some errors in your htaccess files. I renamed your public_html htaccess file and your htaccess file in your tree folder. Right now the 500 errors are gone. This file is missing: kareha.pl

Edited by Byron

You had the wrong folder permissions on your tree folder [. . .] This file is missing: kareha.pl

Hmm, this is interesting—I only changed those maybe half an hour ago in an attempt to split the files between the two folders (yes, I'm clueless). I suppose the .htaccess was the culprit, then?

Either way, everything seems to be working as I had hoped for! Thank you very much for the timely response :-)

Edited by strsntn