proxies

not when you're using a proxy and need to view a page that's, for example, has security and can be trusted like paypal etc.

It can't be trusted though because you establish an encrypted connection with the proxy and then the proxy establishes an encrypted connection with paypal. This means that you are reling on the security of your proxy. Which in this case is a shared host. And probably hasn't been attack tested to the degree that PayPal has.

A decent proxy would just forward the packets so the encrypted connection would be between paypal and end user, and the proxy would never need to know what encryption was, it would just pass along lower level packets.

But if https is only for secure websites then that proxy server won't have it and if it does have it them there's no need to worry as it will be secure and you can trust that proxy server.(however I don't know any proxy websites that have the https:// prefix.

• 1 month later...
I agree with dragonfire. And also i want to ask why do you want to use proxies? An internet article states that 80% of proxies dont work.

Please don't revive old threads... :P

Anyhow, proxies do work, except they are slow and so it's just better to go and just surf on safe websites...

I never said that they dont work, i said 80% of them dont work when i read an internet article it was written in it, but i havent tried it yet.