Proxies allowed?

karath

>< No I'm just using CGI Proxy to make a private one, and I'm trying to do something simple like sign into Yahoo! Mail or Orkut and it's not allowing me. I've tried PHProxy and Zelune, but they both don't work that great.

Hotmail simply doesn't allow outside access other than through its own website. Dunno why. Can only assume the same for Yahoo Mail. Try using your own global email.

I don't think it needs to be SSL encrypted from the end user to the proxy server.

However it would be horribly insecure, especially as the remote site would be believing it had an SSL link all the way when it only has it half way.

Of course even with SSL it would still be less secure as the heliohost server (aka the proxy) would decrypt the content and then reencrypt it. It would also make it harder for the end user to check the end point as they will see the heliohost SSL cert and not yahoo's or whoever the true end point is.

Add to that heliohost provides shared hosting which lowers security as you don't know who else has access to the same server.

What's your reason for using a proxy?

If you want annoymity you could use tor, ( www.tor.eff.org )

Or are you just trying to bypass filtering software?