Linux Distributions???

gah im trying out linux...and there are so many distros...which ones would you guys recommend? i've heard of ubuntu...fedora...and one other that i cant remember right now.

Why talk about the "Linux for Complete Idiots" distros? Zenwalk is the best starter distro for people with brains.

If you are a Linux noob like me, then Ubuntu would be best. Because this distribution was made for the average computer user. And there's also a large support group for it.

I try to use Ubuntu, but one major problem it has it that configuring the wireless connection can be difficult because not many wireless cards are supported by default (you will have to add some add-ons and do some tweaking).

If you are a Linux noob like me, then Ubuntu would be best. Because this distribution was made for the average computer user. And there's also a large support group for it.

I try to use Ubuntu, but one major problem it has it that configuring the wireless connection can be difficult because not many wireless cards are supported by default (you will have to add some add-ons and do some tweaking).

The average computer user can't even install an operating system.

Ubuntu is horrible for beginners, as it leads people to believe that zero-config is good for a system. It's also extremely bloated and it's init system is a complete mess. Ubuntu only has one advantage, and that's apt-get.

I believe that the Best for beginners is in fact Ubuntu,yet,Red Hat and Fedora are awesome (not for newbies though) !

Red Hat and Fedora (they have the same company behind them) are beginner-friendly distros. They were designed to be by the big corporations behind them. They're much better starter distros than Ubuntu.

I believe that the Best for beginners is in fact Ubuntu,yet,Red Hat and Fedora are awesome (not for newbies though) !

Red Hat and Fedora (they have the same company behind them) are beginner-friendly distros. They were designed to be by the big corporations behind them. They're much better starter distros than Ubuntu.

Red Hat is not free while Fedora is its variant. for linux newbies Ubuntu,PCLinuxOS and MEPIS would be good for start point. they are very userfriendly. Debian,Slackware and FreeBSD are more functional and powerful except a bit complex of usages.

while Fedora, Mandriva and openSuSe are in the middle. i install a Mandriva 2007 two months ago. it used to be on the second rank of top 10 Linux distros. it's very user-friendly and easy to configure. drawback of it is its compatibility with some hardware esp. for some old systems.

have a look to this linktop 10 distros of linux

Red Hat is not free while Fedora is its variant. for linux newbies Ubuntu,PCLinuxOS and MEPIS would be good for start point. they are very userfriendly. Debian,Slackware and FreeBSD are more functional and powerful except a bit complex of usages.

while Fedora, Mandriva and openSuSe are in the middle. i install a Mandriva 2007 two months ago. it used to be on the second rank of top 10 Linux distros. it's very user-friendly and easy to configure. drawback of it is its compatibility with some hardware esp. for some old systems.

They each come with nearly the same things and packed nearly the same way. Red Hat just has non-free things included in it.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but you learn nothing out of installing Ubuntu. Everything is constantly preconfigured for you. The same applies to Mandriva 2007. Fedora and OpenSUSE are excellent starters. I personally started with Slackware and don't see it as complex at all.

hmm. im looking at the fedora webpage, and when picking CPU, the three torrents are labeled x86, x86_64, and PPC - I have an AMD Athlon 64 Processor...so would that be x86_64? ><

and what exactly is preconfigured in ubuntu that isn't in fedora? also, i tried the ubuntu live cd, and i couldn't change the resolution...but that's only cause of the live cd, right?

also, what are the differences between and the pros/cons of KDE and GNOME?

i appreciate the help

Macs are just 'FreeBSDs for Dummies'

hmm. im looking at the fedora webpage, and when picking CPU, the three torrents are labeled x86, x86_64, and PPC - I have an AMD Athlon 64 Processor...so would that be x86_64? ><

and what exactly is preconfigured in ubuntu that isn't in fedora? also, i tried the ubuntu live cd, and i couldn't change the resolution...but that's only cause of the live cd, right?

also, what are the differences between and the pros/cons of KDE and GNOME?

i appreciate the help

x86 = Normal 32bit processor, x86_64 = 64bit processor, PPC = Mac. A Google search woulda told you that :/

In Ubuntu, you can basically just click the 'Next' button in the GUI installer all the way through. Fedora requires more, though you still don't have to be very smart to finish the installation, just some common sense.

KDE is more resource-consuming, though it's more functional and looks better. GNOME is designed for the less knowledgeable people.