[Answered] How Come There's No Sftp?

ab1jx

Plain FTP isn't really safe because the password is sent as plain text. Somebody with a packet sniffer can read it, I've had it happen. The data stream isn't encrypted either but that's less of an issue.

I'm new here, I guess this is a Linux box. I normally use OpenBSD. I signed up because I was looking for a cgi-bin but I normally debug my CGI (Perl or C) by looking at errors in Apache's error_log and here I can't. Is there one of these machines that offers shell accounts? I'd love to be able to SSH and log in instead of all this GUI stuff that I'm not familiar with.

I've activated scgi, but which scgi is it? There's at least a Python one and a Perl one, I just want to find some documentation.

Alan

We do offer SFTP, and you can find the information by selecting the 'Configure FTP Client' option for any account under 'FTP Accounts' in cPanel. Currently we do not offer SSH to users for security reasons.

The best way to debug your scripts is to do it locally. If something was to go wrong while testing here, then your account could be suspended for causing high server load. You can find documentation for our languages at http://www.heliohost.org/home/features/languages