[Answered] A And Cname Records, Why Some Do Not Work?

yami

Hi

I hope I am posting in right place.

Playing with my cpanel, I was wondering why some of A and CNAME recods looks like working and some not?

For example when I try A Record webdisk.yami.us or cpanel.yami.us in browser they redirect to webdisk and cpanel.

When I try A Record whm.yami.us, it redirects somewhere that I cannot loging with my heliohost username/password and I have no idea what is it!

And finally when I try A Record webmail.yami.us it goes nowhere!

I woulf appreciate if someone helps me to understand these stuff :)

Users don't have access to WHM, that's WebHost Manager, which is the administrative side of cPanel. Webmail would redirect to a cPanel-based email login page, but in your case mail is being handled by Microsoft's hotmail/outlook servers.

• Like 1

Honestly I returned to my own mailserver on my host. Microsoft one was not looking like to get OK! Anyway I just need one mail address and it does not matter that much...

Would you tell me what is the difference between:

a CNAME Record that I made (mail.yami.us) which takes me to my mail server (whether it is microsoft or heliohost) and an A Record (webmail.yami.us) which goes no where when I try it???

Sorry if I ask more than what member are supposed to.

It's good to know how DNS works since it's how the internet, as we know it, works. We had an interesting question involving DNS usage just weeks after I joined, the user thenasked about a DNS tutorial when everything got working how he wanted it. Hope it helps.

• Like 1