[Solved] Microsoft Live Domains Dns/mx Settings Does Not Propagate After 3 Days :/

yami

Hi, I carefully set everythings needed for using Microsoft Live Domains DNS/MX record settings in my cPanel but after 3 or 4 days still it shows status_yellow.gifPending DNS configuration in my Microsoft Live Domains control pane.

The only thing which is missing in settings is TTL for MX record which is not possible to change in cPanel but I think it is not big deal.

Does anybody successfully used it with Heliohost??

Honestly I believe Helihost can advertise for using it and it will help to reduce resources usage on mail servers by transferring it to Microsoft servers.

So I just spent about a minute doing it, and maybe 25 minutes waiting. The process was pretty simple so far, to clarify, what part are you stuck on, the domain verification or setting a custom address?

Here's what I did for the domain verification:

:via TXT

-info_given

host=> <yourdomain>

value=> v=<something> t=<gibberish>

-todo

goto: http://stevie.heliohost.org:2082/frontend/x3/zoneedit/advanced.html

choose: <yourdomain> from the drop-down menu

input: <yourdomain> in Add a Record->Name:

input: 7200 in Add a Record->TTL:

choose: TXT from Add a Record->Type:

input: v=<something> t=<gibberish> in Add a Record->TXT Data:

:via MX

-info_given

host=> <yourdomain>

value=> <gibberish>

-todo

goto: http://stevie.heliohost.org:2082/frontend/x3/mail/mx.html

choose: <yourdomain> from the drop-down menu

choose: Remote Mail Exchanger from Email Routing

input: 1 in Add New Record->Priority:

input: <gibberish> in Add New Record->Destination:

~Wait about 20-30 minutes in my case, times may vary~

• Like 1

I exactly did both of them but no luck :/

I check everythinh triple time. I know it should be so simple. I did it years ago and it was entirely hassle free as you say but this time, I do not know what is wrong.

I did everything again

AND ALSO

I Deleted my own host MX Record And Changed Microsoft Live Domains MX Record Prioity from 0 to 10.

Now as you said in less than half an hour it worked.

I am not sure which one really helped but I think deleting my own host MX Record helped.

A combination of both probably, if you had both at priority 0 there might've been problems deciding which record to use. Anyways glad I could help, let us know if you have any other problems, I'll add the walkthrough to the wiki for future reference some time later.

• Like 1

In fact Microsoft Live Domains was priority 0 and my own domain priority was 10 (or 100 I think).

Yes, honestly if I was Heliohost admin, I would offer setting this for free for everybody!! I think it helps saving your resources a lot :)/&--#62;

Anyway thank you.

The only thing that looks like have problem now is Custom Address.

I set mail.yami.us in Microsoft Live Domains to and of course I added required CNAME Records to my zone.

Now when I try mail.yami.us it redirects to Account Queued page. I deleted cache but no luck.

The status icon for this custom address in Microsoft Live Domains control panel once and while becomes red or green! I wonder if CNAME record changes also need sometime for propagation.

Edited by yami

All dns changes take time to propagate, though that's sorta weird, my cname change instantly took effect and mail.shinryuu.net redirects to the live.com login, I want to mess with it a little more though.

As for making it a selling point we kinda do, maybe if we make walkthroughs for offloading mail on the wiki and told people where to look to get email running that way on our systems we'd be able to up the per-day limit of 50 emails a day a tiny bit. Here's the email features page on the home site though, look under the header custom mail. I was talking with an admin yesterday about making walkthroughs for services like CloudFlare which also lighten our server load, we'll let you know of any important developments with that stuff.

• Like 1

That is great improvement and saving on resources, specially for account with heavy email usage and lots of email addresses. Specially Johnny suffers a lot and for me it was practically unusable.

I am still working on my Live Domains. Weirdo stuff happened which I fixed them, like my CNAME record changes suddenly resetted to default! I set CNAME again and now I can access mail.yami.us on Live Mail.

Then I started monitoring how good I send or receive email! LOL, almost unusable. Emails I send from Live to my gmail get to it almost quick but the ones I send from my Gmail to Live Domains email like a(att)yami.us some times never arrive or arrive very late!!

I started checking my Live Domain service status. It shows Active. When I click REFRESH button, some times it shows Active again but some times come Inactive!! I click REFRESH again once or twice then it shows Active and so on.

If you think it is something you like to work on it, private message me and I will give yo umy credentials then you can work on it. I totally do not understand anymore but looks either it needs more time to propagate on ALL root servers or it is Steve server's problem on managing MX Records.