Nameservers Question

bpin85

Quick question regarding the nameservers. I am using register.com, and they have a section for custom nameservers and zone editing. I was just curious if I were to set the nameservers back to their default state, create my own custom nameserver adding all the zones at register.com and pointing them to Stevies IP, would that work...or is that not allowed?

Thanks

Brandon

bpin85

silvergears.com

Sorry about that I wasn't thinking last night when I made that post...I had been awake for so long trying to get everything setup correctly and was having issues with register.com not pointing to heliohost correctly for some reason. It would allow me to access the correct things like cpanel.silvergears.com but if i tried to access main content such as silvergears.com or www.silvergears.com it would show me register.com "coming soon" page which not only was incorrect but would feed you popup ads when the page opened. I know it wasn't a cache issue because I cleared my browser cache, flushed, released, and renewed my computers dns cache, and reset my modem and router. I contacted register.com concerning this and shortly after I got the response everything started working accordingly. A couple hours later it was back to doing the same thing again, so on top of being tired I was getting seriously frustrated I did get everything figured out though.

There are zones that can be set using register.com that have been disabled for heliohost members which I may need to use later. MX for example. I deal mainly in OOP (object oriented programming), and I know that there have been a few prior issues with servers at heliohost (which is understandable considering the features offered for the low low cost of NOTHING and the quantity of registers that happen daily, so I am in no way complaining about server issues, if anything I am extremely happy with heliohost) so i was looking for a way to prevent any heavy usage on my part because of certain features i use. For example, I combine the javascript framework jQuery into every program i create that has to do with javascript, and sometimes also combine the jQuery UI on top of that. When you combine either of those or both into a project...your project sizes becomes pretty big. So to prevent any overuse of space or bandwidth on my account, I will be using a content delivery network to allow them to download the program directly or call it remotely using the script tag and the content delivery networks address. Now if i were to host that file on this account rather than using a CDN, and just 1 person uses that program remotely on their page every visitor that visits their page would end up making another call from my account for the js file.

Minifying the project file helps to reduce the size and in turn reduces space and bandwidth required to feed it to everyone who calls it remotely, but it wont help too much if 100 people use it and those 100 people have 1000 visitors to their page a month. But I did figure it all out and I appreciate your response.

Brandon