Using Phpunit (Installing With Pear?)

pjvleeuw

Dear all,

Could anybody explain me how I can use PHPUnit. The PHPUnit installation tutorial (here: http://www.phpunit.d...stallation.html ) states I should run some command-line commands, which I (understandably) cannot do on HelioHost.

Via the cPanel PEAR section I installed PHPUnit2 version 2.3.6. Maybe worth nothing that according to http://pear.phpunit.de/ the current version is 3.6.10 and 2.3.6 is quite old. The only options I found when searching for "phpunit" via cPanel were 1.3.2 and 2.3.6.

Now when I run a script starting with

require_once 'PHPUnit2/Framework/TestCase.php';

then PHP gives me the message:

Warning: require_once(PHPUnit2/Framework/TestCase.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/pjvleeuw/public_html/ctr/tests.php on line 2

Via FTP I checked, the file /home/pjvleeuw/php/PHPUnit2/Framework/TestCase.php does exist, but apparently (checked via phpinfo() ) the include_path is set to ".:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php".

I am not sure but when I install something via the PEAR section on cPanel, where is that supposed to go and should that path be included automatically?

I'd rather not hard-code a path anywhere in my PHP, that is exactly what the PEAR mechanism (from what I understand so far) aims to avoid.

So my question boils down to:

* I can imagine other PHP developers using PHPUnit, so it might be worthwhile to make this available by default / system wide?

* if not, please help me set this up property, I searched a lot but I am stuck, please help

Hope hearing.

Many thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Paul

I noticed the folder

/home/pjvleeuw/php/.channels/

with in it (among others)

__uri.reg

In the above mentioned installation instructions it is stated:

"

The PEAR channel (pear.phpunit.de) that is used to

distribute PHPUnit needs to be registered with the local

PEAR environment:

pear channel-discover pear.phpunit.de

This has to be done only once. Now the PEAR Installer can be

used to install packages from the PHPUnit channel:

pear install phpunit/PHPUnit

"

Has anybody worked with this on HelioHost before? Could I add the channel manually somewhere, and how would I go about grabbing the newest version of PHPUnit? I am a bit afraid that I brick my installation (or at least break it such that I do not know how to fix it): I already did too much trial and error via the cPanel...

Any help is much appreciated!