Php Mail() Problems On Local Server

Hello,

I am running a test Ubuntu linux server with Apache2, PHP5 and MySQL. When I run a PHP mail() function to my personal email, it returns this error:

Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0 Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/home/wheeler_jonathon/public_html/mail.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in Unknown on line 0

I read that my ISP might be filtering port 25, and I will work to disable this and see if that changes anything.

Other helpful things to know:

-I'm not using PHP pear (I'm not sure it it is installed, however. It shouldn't be)

-My httpd.conf is blank (would that affect anything?)

-I am completely comfortable with using the terminal (That is how I got this thing running anyway :) )

Thank you to anyone who can help!

No, default for files is 600 and folders is 700. I forgot to mention I am using vsftpd. What does HelioHost use? I checked /etc/vsftpd.conf for options, but found nothing. Also, FileZilla displays file/folder permissions as -rw------ instead of numbers.

After doing that nothing funcioned at all, so I purged vsftpd and installed pure-ftpd (what I believe HelioHost is using). The problem seems to have resolved itself now (the mail problem as well). Thank you so much everyone for your help!