Some Images Have A "503 Service Unavailable" Error But When I Refresh Another One Has It...

Nathan Johnson

This is a really strange issue. One time it is "images/icons.png" that has the error and then I reload the page and that one doesn't have the error, but "images/refresh.png" has it that time.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I looked in JS Console:

It's getting on my nerves because sometimes one image wont display and then other times another image wont display.

Hopefully there's a fix to it.

By the way, I'm using Google Chrome. I also tried in Safari and Firefox and they both were having this issue.

Recently, there have been some abusive accounts on Stevie that have caused some recent, fairly long downtimes. In an effort to prevent this from happening again, I installed mod_vhost_limit, to limit the number of simultaneous connections to each site. I'll increase the connection limit, but I'm not going to disable it because I don't want Stevie to be having three hours of downtime every day because of some site that's hogging all the connections.

First of all, you shouldn't reach that limit because browsers (are supposed to) only request two resources at a time. However, if you did reach that limit, your site would simply experience a "Service Temporarily Unavailable" page until the traffic subsided.

I do want to point out the fact that it takes about 1/10 of a second to serve a static resource, and since browsers fetch two resources at a time, you would need (10*8)/2, or 40 clients per second to cause this error.

What happens if we use AJAX? Would that cause errors?

I do want to point out the fact that it takes about 1/10 of a second to serve a static resource, and since browsers fetch two resources at a time, you would need (10*8)/2, or 40 clients per second to cause this error.

Thanks for letting us know that.

What happens if we use AJAX? Would that cause errors?

It shouldn't cause errors as long as there aren't 50 people spamming your site or something.

Okay, that's good. I know I wont have that much users on so I think I'm good. :)