[SOLVED] 3 hours of PHP gone because of the cpanel editor :(

Nathan Johnson

I'm really mad right now...

So I was in the cpanel editor doing some PHP and it was all saved when the problem happened, so it isn't my fault.

My browser restarted and the editor when the page loaded back up brought the old version of the file back up and I didn't know. I made a little edit in it after my browser came back up and clicked save and it basically deleted all my changes previously because it was the older version of the file.

This editor is the worst editor because it doesn't always load the newest version of a file.

So now over 3 hours of work... gone :(

Is there anyway I can restore an older version of a file? I really need to because I cannot redo all of this work, it was very very hard!

Details:

Username: pjphost

Website URL: weebuild.heliohost.org

Directory of file: .../public_html/quiz/index.php

Server: Stevie

I really hope this is possible. I cannot redo 3 hours of this PHP I wrote. I had a bunch of functions, and a lot of ifs that I made that are all gone and it took so long to do it all.

Is there a section where I can see and restore previous version of a file or if an admin can do it?

I hope so.

Thanks.

Is there anyway I can restore an older version of a file? I really need to because I cannot redo all of this work, it was very very hard!

There is no way we can do this. The linux file system doesn't keep older versions of a file stored.

If I were you, I would edit on my computer, and then upload to your site via FTP. Stuff like this has happened to me while editing stuff from the file manager, and that's why I don't use it anymore for big projects.

Sorry; if there was any way I could help you, I would.

There is no way we can do this. The linux file system doesn't keep older versions of a file stored.

If I were you, I would edit on my computer, and then upload to your site via FTP. Stuff like this has happened to me while editing stuff from the file manager, and that's why I don't use it anymore for big projects.

Sorry; if there was any way I could help you, I would.

Oh okay. Thank you for replying.

I will be using my editor on my computer for now on, and then uploading via FTP because loosing a day's work isn't good.

Do you know if cPanel will be releasing a better editor someday? Because another small problem is that a bunch of grey text appears under and the whole syntax highlighter gets messed up causing you to have to refresh in order to keep coding. Maybe they could use a better syntax highlighter someday such as CodeMirror as that one is much better for syntax highlighting.

And, I understand that it isn't HelioHost's fault, and that it is cPanel's fault.

Do you know if cPanel will be releasing a better editor someday? Because another small problem is that a bunch of grey text appears under and the whole syntax highlighter gets messed up causing you to have to refresh in order to keep coding. Maybe they could use a better syntax highlighter someday such as CodeMirror as that one is much better for syntax highlighting.

No, but you could use HelioPanel instead.

No, but you could use HelioPanel instead.

Oh, what's HelioPanel? It sounds interesting. I do see it in this nice little pop up navigation menu at the bottom of this forum but I can't login with it. Do I just use my cPanel login details?

It's hosted on cody, the same server that runs HelioNet.

Oh okay. For some reason it wont load, it just keeps saying the "connection reset" error like it was for Stevie yesterday when there was that problem. Maybe there's a problem with that site because HelioNet is running good right now.

That is the incorrect link: please use http://panel.helionet.org/

We recently moved HelioPanel over to Cody, so the URL changed.

However, it looks like nobody has updated the menu at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: Just to let you know that HelioPanel uses ACE Editor for coding. Please also be aware that if you save the document while Cody is down, your changes will be lost.

That is the incorrect link: please use http://panel.helionet.org/

We recently moved HelioPanel over to Cody, so the URL changed.

However, it looks like nobody has updated the menu at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: Just to let you know that HelioPanel uses ACE Editor for coding. Please also be aware that if you save the document while Cody is down, your changes will be lost.

Oh okay, thanks :)

The ACE editor looks pretty cool... and is much better than the cPanel one :D

EDIT: Also, just to let you know I re-did all of that work I lost. It was hard but I got it done. Let's just say that was a lesson well learned for me.