Favorite IDE?

IDE of Choice  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought this poll is pretty straight forward: What IDE do you like the most?

I know a lot of people use more than one IDE, but I mean overall, which one is the easiest/most productive/more feature-rich that you use?

A few years ago when I first started using Java, I tried out Netbeans and Eclipse. I've found them to be "project based", as in, you would import all the files you use for a project and use it like that (bad explanation, I know). I didn't like it, so I started using Microsoft Notepad instead. I was missing some of the features that IDEs had, like error correction. Syntax Highlighting was a big one for me. Then I tried Notepad++, and I haven't used any other IDE since then.

I like that it supports syntax highlighting for pretty much any language you can think of, and it has more than 20 already predefined. You can change the color schemes for the highlighting if you want.

However, Notepad++ doesn't have Error Correction, which I would love.

So, please vote and/or post why you like a specific IDE.

~Derek

P.S. If you don't use any of these, please post which one you do like, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. I see you a lot in these forums ^^

I am using Netbeans for almost a year and a half now. Before that i used Notepad++. However, project based approach is more suitable for me, so i turned to Netbeans when i first heard about it. So i vote for Netbeans!

Hey. I see you a lot in these forums ^^

It's true. I'm everywhere.

On another note, I voted for Notepad++ but it refuses to show it (at least for me). Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently started to use Aptana a bit. For those of you who don't know, Aptana is an IDE based off Eclipse, but instead of gearing more towards Java like Eclipse is, Aptana is aimed at the web development crowd. I'm just going to find some plugins for Aptana (if a plugin works for Eclipse, it almost always works with Aptana as well) that I use all the time in Notepad++ like Zen Coding, and then I should be 'up and running'.

Cheers.

P.S. I don't know how to add 'Aptana' in the poll because I'm a noob. :wacko:

I currently use Visual Studio 2010 because it's the IDE I found the easiest to use. That and I've used earlier versions of it (VS 6, VS 2003, VS 2005 & VS 2008). Notepad++ for web-related stuff, since VS seems a bit heavy duty for editing html/js/css/php/etc.

On my old computer, used to use DevC++ for smaller projects which didn't need the muscle. I'd still be using it if Notepad++'s syntax highlighting wasn't more useful than the ability to write custom make files to perform compilation via the IDE.

Tried out Code::Blocks. It was a pain to use.

Also tried using #Develop for .Net development, I just wasn't comfortable with it after being used to using VS 2003 and DevC++ with custom make files for that purpose.

I once had a manager who tried to convert every programmer over to windows emacs. I was used to notepad++ and it had a lot of nice features emacs just didn't have. My manager was a guru at emacs and vi and couldn't find comparable features in emacs. I stuck with notepad++... but later quit that job for other reasons.

I also used JEdit... but it crashed a lot. It had a very nice GUI but is not as powerful as notepad++.

• 1 month later...