where to start

Hi,

I have outdated web skills, but i'm confident i can figure this out with a few pointers!

I have a domain and an account. I have made an email address for the page... and now i can't figure out how to publish the 1st page.

When i go to the control panel i don't know where to go and what to do to upload or publish a page.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

I have outdated web skills, but i'm confident i can figure this out with a few pointers!

I have a domain and an account. I have made an email address for the page... and now i can't figure out how to publish the 1st page.

When i go to the control panel i don't know where to go and what to do to upload or publish a page.

Thanks!

Are you just using cPanel, or do you have any FTP software (like FileZilla)? I actually find the FTP software easy to use, and saves me from having to open too many windows, but cPanel is much nicer when I am not at my home workstation.

Hi,

Thanks!

Are you just using cPanel, or do you have any FTP software (like FileZilla)? I actually find the FTP software easy to use, and saves me from having to open too many windows, but cPanel is much nicer when I am not at my home workstation.

I guess it depends on how much work(effort) you want to put. cPanel does everything you need it to do if you just want a nice easy simple website. Whereas FTP if you plan on doing alot of editing daily.

Just save the file to your desktop(windows) and use cPanel click 'file manager' doesn't matter what option you choose, when the new window opens, click public_html on the left hand menu bar upload in there.

Thanks for the replies- i just want a simple website to begin with- pretty much just text.

I'll go and try and fiddle around with it now...

If you just want a simple one with just text on it, i suggest you install wordpress using fantastico in your cpanel. Its easy to use anyway.

thanks again for the replies- i have figured out enough to get me going thanks to you!

Hi Again-

so i uploaded a page. It set itself as the home page and when i entered the domain into a web search it showed me that page. great!

Then i wanted to change the page so uploaded a new one with a different name and deleted the first one.

I can't figure out how to set the new page as the home page?

I have tried reuploading the 1st page (which was named home) but that does not default as the home page now.

I get an index page that looks ugly www.wollongongearthcare.net is the page

The pages files are both located in the public_html folder.

please help!

/me slaps the spammer with a bigger trout. Quit it.

HA Wizard!

ecpcfs, your home page needs to be either index.php, index.html, or another file extension. I don't know which ones work, but I know that those two do. Wizard might know the list of ones that work. I know that default.php doesn't work, and in turn gives an index page that lists the files and folders in that folder, which is kinda not good for a homepage. So change the file that you uploaded to index.html (or whatever extension you are using).

Hope that helps!!