What are Bots ,An Introduction to the Types of Bot

max123

bot - Short for robot, a computer program that runs automatically.- source

Dont let the simple definition mislead you.If there is one under-rated area of application and research in our online lives,it is that of a bot.What you could say has resurfaaced off late as a useful feature of IRC servers and clients ,which allowed to script customand automatic responses to activites on the IRC channel.Nowadays we see bots from games,to messenger plugins,to virtual pets and personcal assistants ..so and so forth ,infact now there are a wide range of areas that have been slowly yet steadily beeing crept with man made bots.

spiders,wanderers, and worms. Cancelbots, Lazarus, Automoose. Chatterbots, softbots, userbots,taskbots, knowbots, mailbots. MrBot and MrsBot. Warbots, clonebots, floodbots, annoybots, hackbots, and Vladbots. Gaybots, gossipbots, gamebots. Skeleton bots, spybots, and sloth bots. Xbots, meta-bots.eggdrop bots - all just some of the various avtars imposed depending on the usage .

"The Web welcomes all bots. Chatterbots like Eliza and Julia have taken up residence on Web pages. IRCbots, frozen in suspended animation, are accessible in Web-based archives of code. Gamebots lurk, waiting to do battle, in online gaming networks interwoven with the Web. The Web, irresistibly connecting and binding together all the communities of cyberspace ? MUDs and bulletin boards and chat rooms ? is the reconvergent Pangaea, the mother continent where all bots someday will roam. "(Leonard, 1997, p.152).

Now Thers no point in contemplating as to when they're gonna take over the world,but heres some info that could really throw light onto the dark and often ignored world of bots.

##Search bots

- A "software spider" is an unmanned program operated by a search engine that surfs the Web just like you would. As it visits each Web site, it follows (or "crawl") hyperlinks to the depths of a website, reading, and adding each page location into their database / hdd for searching purposes,all the words on each site and notes each link to other sites. It then "clicks" on a link, and off it goes to read, index and store another Web site.

-Check out the types of search bots here.

##Chat bots

Alice

ALICE (Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity) is a natural language interface to a telerobotic eye.Also in the news : "Supermodel Bot Sells Auto" Chat with a version ..uhmm i mean a friend of Alice.

Billy,Cotiro,GUSH,and Daisy

are also worth checking out,made by a college student named Greg Leedberg.

##Gaming Bots

While Counter strike and other first person shooters are more familiar with the idea of bots([bleeped!] theyre gud !),there are more areas of interest ,ladies and gentlemen.I personaly find the following worth mentioning:

Roboforge

Roboforge lets you construct gigantic robotic gladiators, train them to think and fight, and then unleash them in massive international tournaments for money and prizes.

AI Wars (The Insect Mind)

A.I. Wars (The Insect Mind) allows you to develop the Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) of an insect-like mechanized unit. Once you have developed your A.I. to the point that you think it can hold its own in battle you can then plop it into a battle simulation and see if it can survive! It's your unit against up to 500 others! Remember: "Smart bugs never die!" & "May your A.I. Bugs be without A.I. bugs!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shh!! :whistle: More next time I am tired