djbob being stupid

Ashoat

Mate, no one here is COMPLAINING of the services you give for FREE. That's not the point. The point is, even if it is free, it would be nice some quality or reliability. Because not even the most needy people wants, or needs, bad products and services just because it's FREE.

You just contradicted yourself there.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, come on guys. Be RESPECTFUL here. Djbob here is giving you FREE service. He does not need for all of you to plead to him and complain to him about his service! He has all the right in the world to shut the whole thing down. The only reason you all would care is because YOU would be losing your precious money because your site is down. You guys need to realize that Djbob is spending his time and money fixing this site so that you all can use your free little websites again. I suggest you have a little respect for him! If your service needs that reliable of uptime, you should buy your own site and your own domain.

Gosh. And I'm probably the youngest user here too.

Okay, so I'm slicing my estimate. Maybe Saturday? Basically, there are three steps:

1) Find potentially offending data [done].

2) Process data into categories of accounts [done].

3) Move each category to its own IP [script currently running].

4) Get datacenter to unblock the old IP.

Note to self: don't forget to change the main account IP back and reenable the signup script.

Woo Hoo! Glorious news!! Thanks for the info too, good stuff to know.

Hey, come on guys. Be RESPECTFUL here. Djbob here is giving you FREE service. He does not need for all of you to plead to him and complain to him about his service! He has all the right in the world to shut the whole thing down. The only reason you all would care is because YOU would be losing your precious money because your site is down. You guys need to realize that Djbob is spending his time and money fixing this site so that you all can use your free little websites again. I suggest you have a little respect for him! If your service needs that reliable of uptime, you should buy your own site and your own domain.

Yea? What site is yours? Do you get a lot of traffic? What's the format? Maybe we can help eachother out once the sites are back up.

I'm adding an extra 3.5 step - distribute remaining accounts between IPs. I'm doing this to prevent future downtime in the case of another DDoS attack. I've written a script to do this, and I'm dry-running it right now. If it's successful, I'll wet-run it and once it's done I'll request the change in IP.

Also, all today (and perhaps part of tomorrow) we'll have lots of "Account Queued" messages due to IP moves. Don't worry; your sites will be back up ASAP. Those with dedicated IPs - they will have disappeared, so you'll have to re-request them.

I'm adding an extra 3.5 step - distribute remaining accounts between IPs. I'm doing this to prevent future downtime in the case of another DDoS attack. I've written a script to do this, and I'm dry-running it right now. If it's successful, I'll wet-run it and once it's done I'll request the change in IP.

Also, all today (and perhaps part of tomorrow) we'll have lots of "Account Queued" messages due to IP moves. Don't worry; your sites will be back up ASAP. Those with dedicated IPs - they will have disappeared, so you'll have to re-request them.

Thanks for this info. I was worried a bit earlier why my site (kadjo.org) is still "account queued". Anyway guys thanks for all the good job and giving us the free space. More power to you all and God bless you.

Jojo Maquiling

Yea? What site is yours? Do you get a lot of traffic? What's the format? Maybe we can help eachother out once the sites are back up.

Sure, I am quite new to this... I could use all the help I can get. I haven't actually created my site yet, as you can see, I registered in the middle of the attack. I have not even started my site out yet. I appreciate the offer, but since it is off topic, maybe you should PM me?

Djbob, I'm glad you're getting closer! It's always good to make sure that a similar attack will never again. After all, you never know who could be behind this kind of thing, they could always try again.

So there was some trouble with Ruby where active_support (part of RoR) was conflicting with the rand gem (which I was using in a script). I have since corrected the issue and filed a bug report with the RoR folks.

The final script is running. After this guy is done, we're moving over the IP. This script is going to pull a lot of sites offline (with the "Account Queued" message), so don't worry if yours goes down.

My Website Says:

HELIOHOST ACCOUNT QUEUED

Ahoy! You're seeing this page because HelioHost has not gotten about to installing and configuring your account yet. This process usually takes 24 hours, and once it is complete your website should show up properly. While the account is being created we suggest taking a look at your control panel.

Thanks for choosing HelioHost! We wish you good luck with your website.

Sincerely,

The HelioHost Staff

Does that mean the accounts are coming Back?

Within five hours of this post the final script should complete running, and Apache will restart. At that point about 3/4 of HelioHost's accounts will be active. I will then reenable the signup script, change the main IP, and issue an email to my ISP to unblock the IP that was blocked before.