What does it take to..

What does it take to allow for files to be written to from an external file. I geuss what I am really asking is can a computer remotely write files on the server without requirning the password. I know I could do this with an ftp server but I am trying to make a multiplayer game(In the alice program). I feel like an ftp would be too slow even though it will only require text files. I was wondering if anyone had any segstions.

Yeah we know that would be hard but these are file of sizes around 12kb. I think we would have to limit it to games like chess and checkers but I think it would be possible because it doesn't need to be incredibly fast.

Yeah we know that would be hard but these are file of sizes around 12kb. I think we would have to limit it to games like chess and checkers but I think it would be possible because it doesn't need to be incredibly fast.

I misunderstood. I thought you mean something along the lines of a MMORPG. For what you would like to do, learn php and MySQL. php has file writing functions on its own, but php + MySQL is a lot less hassle than php + files on the server. http://www.redhotpawn.com/ is an example of this.