Making a online MMORPG playable in the browser

Why would you want to mix ASP.Net and PHP? You could do this all in PHP or vice versa.

Are you planning to use PHP4Mono? And if so, I doubt HelioHost would be suitable.

And as a side note, I think it would be best to build a core application server that handles calculations on a multithreaded pipeline basis. That's, of course, if your game uses some streamlined mechanics as in OGame.

But of course that would require some sort of a dedicated server, in which case the technical requirements render any (whether free or not) shared web host unusable. So, you're stuck with the scripting language itself, and this will cause a performance penalty. Maybe the penalty can be avoided partially, by using stored procedures in a PostgreSQL database and storing preemptive results; but it has to be designed carefully.

Anyway...

I know it seems like a basic task to design and build such a game, and to an extent it is, but it's still a huge load to carry on just two shoulders.

Wish you luck..

Why would you want to mix ASP.Net and PHP? You could do this all in PHP or vice versa.

Are you planning to use PHP4Mono? And if so, I doubt HelioHost would be suitable.

And as a side note, I think it would be best to build a core application server that handles calculations on a multithreaded pipeline basis. That's, of course, if your game uses some streamlined mechanics as in OGame.

But of course that would require some sort of a dedicated server, in which case the technical requirements render any (whether free or not) shared web host unusable. So, you're stuck with the scripting language itself, and this will cause a performance penalty. Maybe the penalty can be avoided partially, by using stored procedures in a PostgreSQL database and storing preemptive results; but it has to be designed carefully.

Anyway...

I know it seems like a basic task to design and build such a game, and to an extent it is, but it's still a huge load to carry on just two shoulders.

Wish you luck..

I want to stay home - so I'm using PHP.

No, I'm not having some dedicated game server - it's that making a game is now going to be a hobby.

OK - I admit so, so I'm backing off the idea.

Would a mod close this thread?