Cpu install problems, look here

The pins are on the motherboard as of the Core2Duo. My friend believes that the AMD AM2s may be the same way, but don't quote me on that.

And yes, the pins are on the motherboard and they come up into the CPU into a flat surface that can be indented for the pins. Had I known of this site before I built my current computer, I would have taken pics and put them on here for you to see.

Since Core 2 duo, huh... Well, that just shows I haven't messed with any new CPUs...

Ironically, I've got an LGA775 Quad-core cpu on the way along with a motherboard, so if I can find the camera, I'll take some pics and upload them on here. I had no idea when I bought this new processor that it had the technology you were talking about, but I guess it probably does.

The pins are on the motherboard as of the Core2Duo. My friend believes that the AMD AM2s may be the same way, but don't quote me on that.

And yes, the pins are on the motherboard and they come up into the CPU into a flat surface that can be indented for the pins. Had I known of this site before I built my current computer, I would have taken pics and put them on here for you to see.

Since Core 2 duo, huh... Well, that just shows I haven't messed with any new CPUs...

Ironically, I've got an LGA775 Quad-core cpu on the way along with a motherboard, so if I can find the camera, I'll take some pics and upload them on here. I had no idea when I bought this new processor that it had the technology you were talking about, but I guess it probably does.

This comp is using a Q6600 quad core. So unless your chip is from bizarro world, you'll have the mighty pins on motherboard awesomeness.

PS: It's a good thing you saw this thread before getting your stuff in the mail. I about fainted when I turned over my CPU to find no pins.

I love that model. I dunno if you had the ability to check, but do you know what type of stepping you were able to acquire? One of them is mediocre and the other one is quite fast and much cooler. It also allows for an overclock of 3.6. Fun, if you're into that. Though, for a server I don't know how smart that'd be.

Edit: Also, I saw that you had named it Stevie in another thread as well. Why Stevie? Why a name at all?

Not sure why the name, but Stevie definitely suits it. If you see the picture you can just tell; it's a stevie.

Couldn't find the camera...I think my mom took it somewhere and has it in her car or something.

Anyway, the pins were on the mother board like you said. I've got a Q9450...almost got the Q6600 but went up to this...

kinda beside the point; I can't get my new rig to turn on... :(

Yeah, the models above the Q6600 were way too expensive when I bought my rig. Like $1000.

What's going on with the rig? Make sure you have your power button plugged into the mobo. :D

Yeah, the models above the Q6600 were way too expensive when I bought my rig. Like $1000.

What's going on with the rig? Make sure you have your power button plugged into the mobo. :D

Well, at first, one of the standoff things wasn't in right and the mobo was touching the case and shorted out everytime... That took about 7 hours to figure out.

Now I've gotten to the point where all the fans and LEDs will come on, but nothign shows up on my display... :(

It's about my 22nd hour of attempting to build this pc... haven't seen anything on a screen yet; just pretty LEDs...SIGH...

EDIT: I'm really hopin that short didn't fry my motherboard...

Well, at first, one of the standoff things wasn't in right and the mobo was touching the case and shorted out everytime... That took about 7 hours to figure out.

Now I've gotten to the point where all the fans and LEDs will come on, but nothign shows up on my display... :(

It's about my 22nd hour of attempting to build this pc... haven't seen anything on a screen yet; just pretty LEDs...SIGH...

EDIT: I'm really hopin that short didn't fry my motherboard...

My build went very smooth. If I were near to you, I'd help you put it together and figure out what's wrong. Since I can't, I'll try to help as best I can.

1. Look around the area where it shorted. Do you see any black marks? If it's only on the green portion it should be fine. If it's across a metal strip, that's bad (obviously). Also, smell your board. Do you smell burnt plastic? Do you see any popped resistors or capacitors? Any physical damage at all? If you can't see any and the LEDs are coming on, your board is probably still in working order.

2. Do some research on your mobo. The one I have is notorious for not posting. People get bad mobos and they don't post. Has nothing to do with anything they did. Could be something like that.

3. Try another GPU in your computer. We had issues with drivers on my friend's computer and we couldn't get any display at all.

If that all fails, lemme know.

Also, does it beep when you turn it on? Any noise at all? If you have an on-board speaker, make sure it's properly attached. Those beeps are like morse code. It'll let you know what's not right.