Cpu install problems, look here

I was looking around at the parts in my computer, taking them out and looking at them, then putting them back in. Then, when I tried to turn the computer back on, nothing happened. After looking around, I narrowed the problem down to my CPU. It's pins were all bent up. So I found this guide, http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Bent-Pins-on-a-CPU, and I wanted to share it with everybody and anybody because it totally saved my computers life. I had never been to Wikihow before so I didn't know they had such useful information out there.

In conclusion, if you have CPU install problems, or if you messed with the CPU and the computer is not starting, look at the pins and if they're screwed up, use the guide. It works like a charm.

Why wouldn't you trust wikihow? It's not that I have heard of this site up until today, but it is on the internet just as any thing else that would come up by performing a search with google. Perhaps that is how jjpriest found it in the first place. It also fixed his problem for which I am sure he is quite happy about.

As an example, I ran into a BIOS problem on one of my computers long ago. It would always stop booting at the same spot. I searched the hardware site and BIOS manufacturer site and came up with blanks. Then I googled and found a message on an unknown forum/newsgroup with a rather unorthodox solution. Turned out it worked and I was able to suggest it to another person down the road. My point is that people should not believe everything they read on the internet, but still keep an open mind.

Yeah, I sometimes don't trust the wiki's but, like meriadoc said, I found it through google and it managed to fix my problem.

My point is that people should not believe everything they read on the internet, but still keep an open mind.

good way of saying it.

Well what I meant was that in Wikihow, writers don't have to document their sources like in Wikipedia, so you run a higher chance of being screwed over, but I see your point on how it can be useful. Just make sure to double check with google to make sure you're not going to short out your b0x.

I always like going to a technology forum. A lot of times if you find something iffy on the web, you just ask the opinions of guys on the forum, and they'll lead you in the right direction.

I didn't realize Wikipedia even had to document sources. I don't use it enough to really know, but I always that was an optional thing of the author. The one thing I know for sure is that the English teachers at my school go nuts at the mention of Wiki anything. They go on and on about how the information there could be provided from crackheads or first graders.

Either way, if you need to get started in the right direction, sites like that, along with ample googling, usually end up giving you the information you are seeking.

Cheers to wikihow, reliable or not, because it got my PC back in working order.

Thats a real nice step by step guide! The website has loads of other tutorials too! wow ... I always was scared to open up my computer thinking i might mess something up ... maybe i'll give it a go and see!

Like we've been discussing, make sure you use your brain when you use all of those tutorials..they're probably benign but you never know for sure... Just make sure you don't bend any processor pins ;)

Believe me, I do too. I didn't really know what I was doing, just looking around the computer..decided to take out the cpu, then it went in wrong and that's how I got there. Now that I've learned, I don't plan on ever letting it happening again.

For this reason companies have started putting the pins on the circuit board and not on the CPU.

For this reason companies have started putting the pins on the circuit board and not on the CPU.

Well, although I've never seen them, I don't understand how that would really improve the situation. I would think that maybe there would be a slightly less chance of bending pens, but they might be harder to fix that way. But, like I said, I've never even seen them so my comment is completely just an opinion.

The reason that this alleviates the problem is because people were buying CPUs from companies (like Newegg), attempting to improperly install the CPU, bending the pins, and then sending them back saying "it came like that". The pins on the motherboard are sunken into the board and are much less likely to be damaged in transit or during the packaging phase of manufacturing. When the CPU is laid on top of the motherboard there is only one way it can fit (the edge of the CPU has a slot that fits on the motherboard so it's impossible to have it any other way and it actually latch on). Once it's latched, you push down a lever and the pins raise and puncture the bottom of the CPU. Puncture is probably the wrong word. Think of it like a bullet. When the hammer comes down it makes a little dent. The pins sit in those dents. You can take the CPU off and put it on as many times. If it doesn't land exactly in the same spot, it'll just make another dent. Though, it's suggested you don't continuously take off your CPU. The pins are not difficult to get to and you shouldn't have any more difficulty fixing them than you would a regular CPU pin but I've not heard of any cases where it's been an issue.

In other news, one of my friends once told me that he was playing with his computer and still had it on. He wasn't thinking about it and took off the heat sink and fan over his CPU. The CPU instantly exploded into a mushroom shape because of the heat. Luckily, he had left the fan plugged in so the company deemed it failure and replaced it.

Huh, very well explained; I think I might understand a little more about this now--that theory makes quite a bit more sense now. So, I'm not really sure I understand the connection part of the cpu to the motherboard... now there's little holes in the bottom of the mother board for the cpu pins to go in--Are you saying that the pins are on the motherboard and there's a flat surface on the bottom of the cpu that can be indented where the pins get pushed up?

I guess that's a pretty smart move by the manufaturer's though. I know that if I got a 300 dollar cpu and accidentally bent a few pins I'd put my honesty on the shelf and say it came that way :ph34r: It would be harder to say that if the pins weren't even on the cpu though.

Is this technology just on certain types of cpus( I mean I know it must be)? Like a certain socket or something that I could Google and learn a little more about?

Wow this thread has become pretty informative. I also have never seen any motherboards or cpu's like that (with the pins in the MB). But in my past experience, I've only bent a couple pins on one CPU and was easily able to bend them back straight with needle nose pliers. I was lucky, but then again it was a pretty old computer (200mhz lol)

The pins are on the motherboard as of the Core2Duo. My friend believes that the AMD AM2s may be the same way, but don't quote me on that.

And yes, the pins are on the motherboard and they come up into the CPU into a flat surface that can be indented for the pins. Had I known of this site before I built my current computer, I would have taken pics and put them on here for you to see.