Which computer should I choose?

Star

Hello! As you all know, Christmas is coming up and I'm asking for my own new computer for Christmas. It'll be expensive (obviously), so I'm looking for a computer myself.

The computer can be a monitor or notebook/laptop (but I prefer a laptop). The only requirements are that it needs to be a reasonable price (not $2,000) and it needs to have enough memory to be able to get on the internet (sorry if that's completely stupid - my friend told me you needed a certain amount of memory to be able to get on the internet). I plan on using the computer for surfing the internet, downloading a game or two, and downloading some graphics programs I have.

Any suggestions for the right computer??

-Star

If it will primarily be for Internet use, you should be able to find a decent sub-$1000 laptop or sub-$800 desktop. You don't need a ton of RAM and a good video card to surf the Internet. I'm not sure what graphics programs you're using, but Adobe Photoshop CS3 only requires 512MB of RAM and 64MB of video RAM. With that in mind you can get a Gateway T2310 (laptop) on sale from Best Buy for $650 or a Compaq desktop package (with LCD monitor and printer) for under $650. They will work just fine for what you've described. They aren't going to play the "hottest" new games, but it doesn't sound like you need it to.

Hello! As you all know, Christmas is coming up and I'm asking for my own new computer for Christmas. It'll be expensive (obviously), so I'm looking for a computer myself.

The computer can be a monitor or notebook/laptop (but I prefer a laptop). The only requirements are that it needs to be a reasonable price (not $2,000) and it needs to have enough memory to be able to get on the internet (sorry if that's completely stupid - my friend told me you needed a certain amount of memory to be able to get on the internet). I plan on using the computer for surfing the internet, downloading a game or two, and downloading some graphics programs I have.

Any suggestions for the right computer??

-Star

Wait A Little More And You Will Get Youreself A Cheap Vista Laptop, I Got My Vista Laptop Half Price Because The Price Falls When People Dont Buy The Item Selected....

In Other Word's SALE :lol:

Bottom line, if you are a casual gamer you don't need a high powered graphics card (several hundred dollars) nor do you need a ton of RAM or a giant hard drive. If you are planning on playing the newest FPS or MMOG then you will need those things.

You said you would be playing one or two games, to me that sounds like casual gaming. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a computer to play Virtual Villagers, The Sims, Jewel Quest or those hidden object games. Don't overspend, unless you think you will increase your gaming in the future.

I run a 1 meg processer and 256 of ram and my son uses it for the internet and a bunch of online games. It is old but it seems to work well, I think if you are looking at a deal the $200 walmart computer might work but you will need to put on Xp unless linux would play the games you use. This is a really low in machine though.

• 1 month later...
I run a 1 meg processer and 256 of ram and my son uses it for the internet and a bunch of online games. It is old but it seems to work well, I think if you are looking at a deal the $200 walmart computer might work but you will need to put on Xp unless linux would play the games you use. This is a really low in machine though.

A 1 meg processor? Hmm...

• 3 weeks later...