New Server Configuration

Ashoat

We now have a new server configuration. That's good, for a number of reasons:

It uses Apache 2.2, which is faster, more modular, more up to date, etc.

We now have mod_mono, which means we now offer ASP and ASP.NET support.

We now have suphp (which had caused the majority of 500 error problems; see below) which heightens security for PHP scripts by associating each PHP thread (each file being executed) to its user for quick problem identification and elimination. It also has other features that increase security.

We now have mod_security, which makes our server more secure.

We now have a few new PHP 5 modules, including the requested XMLRPC module.

If any of you are wondering why we went down for about a day last week and then had numerous server errors, here is a description of all the issues we encountered:

When I first tried upgrading to Apache 2.2, cPanel set us up with a configuration that was incompatible. Consequently, Apache refused to load for some time. Eventually I downgraded to Apache 2.0 just to get the server running. Soon I realized what the problem configuration with the help of a helpful cPanel forum member; after this I upgraded the server to Apache 2.2.

The 500 errors (by the way: 500 is an error code, not a quantification) were caused by suphp. This modification follows stringent security protocols that a lot of our files were incompatible with, so I had to make some adjustments. Originally, it checked CHMOD levels and would not allow execution if a file was CHMOD'd to 777 - I disabled that feature. To get the signup function working was a different matter, however - it involved some complex configuration, considering that the signup folder is located in a secure location. I had to set suphp's docroot to the server root, I had to tell it not to check for a vhost's files being located in the vhost's docroot (the folder is alias'd across the server for access by the heliohost.org vhost), and I had to set the uid and gid of the folder and the files inside it to a lower-privileged user. Anyways, now everything is working. If you don't understand the above, don't try figuring it out - it's server admin stuff, mostly intended for other server admins who have similiar issues and need a solution.

Anyways, have fun with the new configuration. The only real new feature is ASP/ASP.NET support, which should be quite exciting.

We now have a new server configuration. That's good, for a number of reasons:

It uses Apache 2.2, which is faster, more modular, more up to date, etc.

We now have mod_mono, which means we now offer ASP and ASP.NET support.

We now have suphp (which had caused the majority of 500 error problems; see below) which heightens security for PHP scripts by associating each PHP thread (each file being executed) to its user for quick problem identification and elimination. It also has other features that increase security.

We now have mod_security, which makes our server more secure.

We now have a few new PHP 5 modules, including the requested XMLRPC module.

If any of you are wondering why we went down for about a day last week and then had numerous server errors, here is a description of all the issues we encountered:

When I first tried upgrading to Apache 2.2, cPanel set us up with a configuration that was incompatible. Consequently, Apache refused to load for some time. Eventually I downgraded to Apache 2.0 just to get the server running. Soon I realized what the problem configuration with the help of a helpful cPanel forum member; after this I upgraded the server to Apache 2.2.

The 500 errors (by the way: 500 is an error code, not a quantification) were caused by suphp. This modification follows stringent security protocols that a lot of our files were incompatible with, so I had to make some adjustments. Originally, it checked CHMOD levels and would not allow execution if a file was CHMOD'd to 777 - I disabled that feature. To get the signup function working was a different matter, however - it involved some complex configuration, considering that the signup folder is located in a secure location. I had to set suphp's docroot to the server root, I had to tell it not to check for a vhost's files being located in the vhost's docroot (the folder is alias'd across the server for access by the heliohost.org vhost), and I had to set the uid and gid of the folder and the files inside it to a lower-privileged user. Anyways, now everything is working. If you don't understand the above, don't try figuring it out - it's server admin stuff, mostly intended for other server admins who have similiar issues and need a solution.

Anyways, have fun with the new configuration. The only real new feature is ASP/ASP.NET support, which should be quite exciting.

Very nicely done, djbob... hopefully this time that the server will run even faster... oh yeah was that day the time where the forums wouldn't work as well because we couldn't connect?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...