Rewriting A Wordpress Theme

hussam

I am working on rewriting an old wordpress theme wp-andreas00 while trying to make it look and behave the same as much as possible. It is not a responsive template so just your old-school fixed width template.

The original theme was from 2008 and so contained a lot of deprecated functions and didn't support comment pagination, and didn't use wp_list_comments() (which meant using plugins for comment system like disqus didn't work) etc.. and I had to fix all that.

This is my first attempt at a wordpress theme so it far from perfect. It has been a very good learning experience and it led me to learn a lot of the wordpress framework, functions and APIs.

The source code is here: https://github.com/hussamT/wp-andreas00

Download-able zip: https://github.com/hussamT/wp-andreas00/archive/master.zip

So far the changes are:

• New comments.php script.
  • Replaced most deprecated functions.
  • Replaced hardcoded date format with the_date() function so the theme can follow the wordpress settings for date format.
  • Added support for custom header banners.
  • Added support for post thumbnails (in single posts only to keep the front page clean).
  • Added support for custom menus.
  • Used wp_enqueue_style() for theme style sheet.
  • Added support for automatic feed links and removed hardcoded ones from header.php file.
  • Moved some common code from scripts to functions.php file.
  • Now uses post_class() for better control over post styling.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome (especially stuff I did wrong and stuff I can improve).

Again, this is my first attempt at learning wordpress templates.