Tjoene: A Question About Installing Simple Portal Into Smf

tc7736

Hi Tjoene,

I read you are running SMF with the SP add on package and was wondering how you were able to get the SP to load. I have tried using the package manager to do it for several days and keep getting a server error after a delay of about 10 seconds.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Perhaps someone else can help.

I installed the SMF message board without a hitch and it is running fine. Since then I have tried repeatedly to upload Simple Portal into it using the package manager of SMF. Each time, it sits for a bit and then comes up with the following error message. What am I doing wrong (other than trying to load the thing LOL)?

============================================

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@otcampground.heliohost.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 Phusion_Passenger/3.0.11 mod_mono/2.6.3 mod_jk/1.2.30 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 mod_wsgi/3.3 Python/2.7.1 Server at ...............

============================================

What is happening here is that your script is timing out (timeout is ten seconds). Is there any other way to install that application? If not, I can increase the timeout.

Hi XAAV,

I don't know if there is another way or not. HERE is the link to their installation area.

I read lots of problem/responses on the SP forum and, since I couldn't find any that parallels what is happening to me, I decided to see if it was something I overlooked doing on our local server in preparation for the upload.

I'm running on cable with 15mb down and 2mb up so uploading the 296k zipped file from my machine shouldn't take very long. If my upload time is too slow and if it's possible to load it from another internet site, then I can store it on line and link to it directly. But, I don't know whether to try or not as I believe the SMF package manager actually does the unzipping and installation of the file it uploads.

Sorry to be such a bother. Even easy things become Rubik's cubes when I touch them. LOL

Al

Xaav,

Thank you for trying the time extension but it had no effect.

I removed & replaced the forum thinking that a new, untouched one would function correctly. But, alas, it still won't load either SimplePortal or DreamPortal.

As a last resort, I've decided to let Tjoene give it a try and we'll post the results later.

Thanks again for your help.

Al

I just tried installing SimplePortal using the SMF package manager while both connected to cPanel and not connected. In both cases, it failed yielding the message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@otcampground.heliohost.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 Phusion_Passenger/3.0.11 mod_mono/2.6.3 mod_jk/1.2.30 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 mod_wsgi/3.3 Python/2.7.1 Server at otcampground.heliohost.org Port 80

Whoa! A really big ATTA BOY & THANK YOU to Xaav!!!

I just tried the package manager and it uploaded & installed the Simple Portal without a hitch.

Hopefully, folks in the future won't have a problem doing the same thing.

Excellent job by our Admin and Moderator people!