[Solved] Hestia CP inaccessible on my VPS

allu62

I know for several months that I have to backup my VPS and to update Hestia CP. One of the reasons why I didn't do it, is that I fear to mess up a well running website. When I tried to access the Hestia CP webpage on my VPS this morning, Firefox complained that the SSL certificate's validity has ended for some time. Is it normal that certificates aren't automatically renewed? I don't think that I ever did it manually...

The problem seems to be limited to Hestia CP. All servers on my domain seem to work correctly. And the webserver at myvps.heliohost.us also works.

I have no idea what the problem could be. And no idea what I must, should or can do to solve it. But, must I do anything at all? I practically never use Hestia, uploading my files using secure FTP, viewing statistics or other files after downloading them. Is there a problem just letting all as it is (maybe installing another webadmin interface later)? Can I get problems because all servers were actually installed by Hestia? Is the SSL certificate for my domain renewed without Hestia being working? Sorry, if these are stupid questions. But my sysadmin knowlege is more than limited and winter is not really a good time to do sysadmin work, if you mostly have to use some Internet connections outside.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi @allu62,

10 hours ago, allu62 said:

I know for several months that I have to backup my VPS and to update Hestia CP. One of the reasons why I didn't do it, is that I fear to mess up a well running website. When I tried to access the Hestia CP webpage on my VPS this morning, Firefox complained that the SSL certificate's validity has ended for some time. Is it normal that certificates aren't automatically renewed? I don't think that I ever did it manually...

Probably it has something to do with your outdated HestiaCP. A bug or something broke due to it not being updated. But you are right, usually it does update the panel certificate automatically. As a palliative resolution, please try to run this command in your VPS terminal/bash:

sudo /usr/local/hestia/bin/v-add-letsencrypt-host

10 hours ago, allu62 said:

I have no idea what the problem could be. And no idea what I must, should or can do to solve it. But, must I do anything at all? I practically never use Hestia, uploading my files using secure FTP, viewing statistics or other files after downloading them. Is there a problem just letting all as it is (maybe installing another webadmin interface later)? Can I get problems because all servers were actually installed by Hestia? Is the SSL certificate for my domain renewed without Hestia being working?

You should do something, as outdated and unworking software can be a security breach for your system and/or your sites hosted within it. You can find issues/problems if it stops renewing your hosted sites certificates, as that renew is linked/automated by your HestiaCP.

Now, as I could see it, HestiaCP seems like overly complex/difficult to your needs. I really would recommend you to change to another webhost control panel, if possible, e.g., KeyHelp (free yet professional/commercial webhost control panel, thus being a lot more stable), which I can vouch for since I migrated my own VPS from HestiaCP to it.

I finally tried to update the certificate via SSH and got the message "ERROR: Restart of Hestia failed". So, I suppose that Hestia is dead!?

To follow your advice, am I right that I'll have to do the following:

1. Backup (home directory, databases, anything else?). The databases may be saved using phpMyAdmin, but for the filesystem backup, how should I do? Is there any software that you'd recommend?

2. Install another webinterface. The big question here is: How does that affect my website? Will the servers be re-installed? Will their presence be recognized and they therefor automatically added to the new panel? Or, have I to add them manually? Redo the configuration that I did when installing Hestia (that did all server installation + basic configuration)?

3. Remove Hestia. No idea, how this can be done. And what are the effects? As Hestia installed all servers, is there a risk that some servers will be uninstalled, too? Will the servers continue to run correctly when Hestia is uninstalled (I guess so, as they do now, where Hestia seems to be definitively dead)? And another important question: What about HTTPS? Will I further get SSL-certificates for free (I think that until now this was linked to Hestia)?

Sorry, to bother you with all these questions. But, I think that I haven't another choice than to do something. Searching the Internet for solutions is not a good idea: It's too important to fall on some "wrong information". So, the only possibility, I see, is hoping for help (advice, suggestions...) from the HelioHost forum members...

Big thanks in advance!

For the file system backup of your website files, archive all of the files in your home folder with a command like tar. It'd be something like this:

tar -czvf backup.tar.gz /path/to/files

Then just download the backup.tar.gz using SFTP.

For 2 and 3, you generally can't uninstall a control panel...you reinstall the OS instead. For that, you'd ask for the VPS to be rebuilt, then afterwards install whatever new control panel you want.

9 hours ago, allu62 said:

So, I suppose that Hestia is dead!?

Maybe not exactly dead, but broken in some way that may be more difficult to fix than to reinstall it or to change to another webhost control panel.

1. Backup (home directory, databases, anything else?). The databases may be saved using phpMyAdmin, but for the filesystem backup, how should I do? Is there any software that you'd recommend?

If you still have access to HestiaCP web interface, you can create a backup from there by following this guide; you can back up through SSH by following this guide. And finally, you can also back up your files just like wolstech explained.

2. Install another webinterface. The big question here is: How does that affect my website? Will the servers be re-installed? Will their presence be recognized and they therefor automatically added to the new panel? Or, have I to add them manually? Redo the configuration that I did when installing Hestia (that did all server installation + basic configuration)?

Webhost control panels usually do not provide uninstallers, so you would be required to wipe your server (i.e., asking for a reinstall of your operational system). Some webhost panels do have plugins that allow restoring backup files from another control panel, thus automating the process, but if they do not have those plugins you would need to manually create your account again and manually restoring your backup as well. Configuring the new webhost control panel, if you choose to use another one, will also be necessary. And even if you decide to keep HestiaCP (by wiping your VPS and reinstalling an updated version), I would strongly advise you to install and configure it from scratch instead of restoring a full configuration backup as to avoid bugs/errors/issues of any kind.

3. Remove Hestia. No idea, how this can be done. And what are the effects? As Hestia installed all servers, is there a risk that some servers will be uninstalled, too? Will the servers continue to run correctly when Hestia is uninstalled (I guess so, as they do now, where Hestia seems to be definitively dead)? And another important question: What about HTTPS? Will I further get SSL-certificates for free (I think that until now this was linked to Hestia)?

As I explained above (and wolstech also explained in his post) to remove HestiaCP (or any other webhost control panel) it is required to wipe your VPS and reinstalling your operational system. By wiping your VPS, your sites would be temporary offline until a new webhost control panel was installed and configured with your sites again. About SSL certificates, almost all webhost control panels nowadays have an option to automatically use free Let's Encrypt SSL certificates, so you would not have to worry about that.

If I correctly understand, this means that the only reasonable action to take would be to start from scratch: backup, request to rebuild the VPS, reinstall of Hestia CP (or other control panel), manual reconfig of all servers, restore... 2023 is without any doubt one of the worst years in my life and I think that there's no chance to find the force, will and patience for this...

So, what can I do:

1. Nothing at all. Letting the site running without Hestia (is there a possibility to check if Hestia is entirely dead?) until the website breaks down, too.

2. Migrating back to Tommy. No idea if this is possible!?

3. Doing nothing and migrating back to Tommy when the website breaks down (if this possibility exists).

4. Accept that if you haven't the necessary knowlege, you shouldn't install a VPS. Or even, that if you haven't the necessary means, you shouldn't create a website. Or, even further, that if you live in the street, you shouldn't try to live a "normal-people-like" life.

I suppose that I will do the same that I've done for lot of things these last 12 months: Doing nothing and waiting what happens... Important however: I guess that a broken Hestia could result in security issues. If these issues could affect the HelioHost network or other user's website, please, let me know. In this case, I'll shut my site down, of course.

Hi @allu62,

5 hours ago, allu62 said:

1. Nothing at all. Letting the site running without Hestia (is there a possibility to check if Hestia is entirely dead?) until the website breaks down, too.

When I try to access your HestiaCP login page I get a HTTP 500 error (Internal Server Error). I would not say it is dead or unrecoverable, because i personally believe anything is technically possible in IT. The question you should ask yourself is: do you want to troubleshoot it or start is it easier to start from the scratch?

2. Migrating back to Tommy. No idea if this is possible!?

Sure, it is possible, though it would require almost the same steps as to get your VPS working again (backup your data from your VPS, reconfigure your domains, and upload your backup again).

3. Doing nothing and migrating back to Tommy when the website breaks down (if this possibility exists).

As the above question, it is possible, though it could be a security concern for you and your data.

4. Accept that if you haven't the necessary knowlege, you shouldn't install a VPS. Or even, that if you haven't the necessary means, you shouldn't create a website. Or, even further, that if you live in the street, you shouldn't try to live a "normal-people-like" life.

I cannot agree with that one. If one does not have the knowledge, then one can simply learn it. In fact, I would say those kind of issues are exactly what help people to actually learn and improve themselves.

I suppose that I will do the same that I've done for lot of things these last 12 months: Doing nothing and waiting what happens... Important however: I guess that a broken Hestia could result in security issues. If these issues could affect the HelioHost network or other user's website, please, let me know. In this case, I'll shut my site down, of course.

Of course, that is also an option you can take. We are here to help you with any choice you decide to take, being it to troubleshoot and recover your HestiaCP (though that one will be a little bit difficult, as the most knowledgeable person about HestiaCP would be Krydos), to start from scratch with a fresh HestiaCP (or another panel, if you decide HestiaCP is too troublesome) or any other of your options (migrate to Tommy, stay with your HestiaCP as it is etc).

Just let us know what is your choice and we will gladly help you.

• 3 weeks later...

Really not capable to take whatever decision at the moment. Not only concerning my VPS...

However, I tried to get some details concerning Hestia CP. Using SSH, I tried to start the servive - this failed. Here the output:

allu62@vps43:~$ sudo /usr/local/hestia/bin/v-start-service hestia
[sudo] password for allu62:
Job for hestia.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status hestia.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
allu62@vps43:~$

I did as told, here the result:

allu62@vps43:~$ sudo systemctl status hestia.service
● hestia.service - LSB: starts the hestia control panel
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/hestia; generated)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2023-04-10 12:25:26 UTC; 4min 43s ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 187706 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/hestia start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 2273)
     Memory: 10.0M
     CGroup: /system.slice/hestia.service
             └─1111 nginx: worker process

Apr 10 12:25:22 vps43.heliohost.us hestia[187706]:  * Starting hestia-nginx hestia-nginx
Apr 10 12:25:23 vps43.heliohost.us hestia[187710]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8083 failed (98: Address already in use)
Apr 10 12:25:24 vps43.heliohost.us hestia[187710]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8083 failed (98: Address already in use)
Apr 10 12:25:24 vps43.heliohost.us hestia[187710]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8083 failed (98: Address already in use)
Apr 10 12:25:25 vps43.heliohost.us hestia[187710]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8083 failed (98: Address already in use)
Apr 10 12:25:25 vps43.heliohost.us hestia[187710]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8083 failed (98: Address already in use)
Apr 10 12:25:26 vps43.heliohost.us hestia[187710]: nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()
Apr 10 12:25:26 vps43.heliohost.us systemd[1]: hestia.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 10 12:25:26 vps43.heliohost.us systemd[1]: hestia.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 10 12:25:26 vps43.heliohost.us systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: starts the hestia control panel.

No idea, what this means. Is the problem related to nginx? This service is running; I did a sudo service --status-all and otherwise the website would not work, I suppose...

Thanks for any suggestions. And in the eventuality that I'll give up (the SSL certificate expires in June and I suppose that without Hestia there is no possibility to renew it), thaks for having had the opportunity to be part of this without any doubt best community on the net!

Hi @allu62,

About that output, I believe you will not be able to start HestiaCP service because it is already started on system startup (when your VPS is powered on), thus causing that error.

Could you please post the content of your /var/log/hestia/nginx-error.log file?

There is not lots to see. The same error message, again and again, here the last lines of the file:

2023/04/18 05:35:19 [emerg] 1018155#0: bind() to 0.0.0.0:8083 failed (98: Address already in use)
2023/04/18 05:35:19 [emerg] 1018155#0: bind() to 0.0.0.0:8083 failed (98: Address already in use)
2023/04/18 05:35:19 [emerg] 1018155#0: still could not bind()

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your patience, @allu62.

Could you please run the following command and post its prompt?:

sudo netstat -tulnp | grep 8083

This command will show us what service is listening to port 8083 (that is needed for HestiaCP to run its web control panel).

Also, could you please run the following commands?:

sudo systemctl restart hestia
sudo apt-get install --reinstall hestia-nginx
sudo apt-get install --reinstall hestia-php

These commands will restart HestiaCP service and reinstall HestiaCP's NGINX and PHP services.

I think that it's you who is patient and if there is someone to say sorry, it's me...

The "netstat" command is no longer available by default on Ubuntu; trying to install "net-tools" gives the following error (maybe this gives you some supplementary information concerning my Hestia problem).

sudo apt install net-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  net-tools
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 150 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 196 kB of archives.
After this operation, 864 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 net-tools amd64 1.60+git20180626.aebd88e-1ubuntu1 [196 kB]
Fetched 196 kB in 0s (472 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package net-tools.
(Reading database ... 162082 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../net-tools_1.60+git20180626.aebd88e-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking net-tools (1.60+git20180626.aebd88e-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up net-tools (1.60+git20180626.aebd88e-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up hestia-php (8.2.5) ...
dpkg: error processing package hestia-php (--configure):
 installed hestia-php package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 hestia-php
Error: Timeout was reached
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) does

I searched the Internet to find a replacement for netstat. I think that "lsof" does what you are looking for. Here the output:

sudo lsof -i:8083
COMMAND    PID  USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
hestia-ng 1111 admin    6u  IPv4  26937      0t0  TCP *:8083 (LISTEN)

Trying to restart Hestia fails, as described in my post of April, 13th.

Concerning the reinstallation of hestia-nginx and hestia-php, I wanted to ask first if this is secure, in the sense if it isn't it a risk that my website (still full functional, including PHP) wouldn't work correctly anymore?

Thanks a lot for your concern and efforts to help me!

Since right now I do not have a clean Ubuntu install, I cannot be sure if netstat is installed by default, but I do have it on my own VPS. Either way, the command lsof achieve the same goal, so there is no problem.

Trying to restart Hestia fails, as described in my post of April, 13th.

On your post of April, 13th, the command was to start the service. Now, the command is to restart (stop the current running service and start it again). Even so, is it presenting the exact same error?

The "netstat" command is no longer available by default on Ubuntu; trying to install "net-tools" gives the following error (maybe this gives you some supplementary information concerning my Hestia problem).

Your hestia-php installation package is returning an error, thus stopping you from installing net-tools (it has to finish the previous task to start the new one, i.e., installing net-tools).

Concerning the reinstallation of hestia-nginx and hestia-php, I wanted to ask first if this is secure, in the sense if it isn't it a risk that my website (still full functional, including PHP) wouldn't work correctly anymore?

It should be safe considering these steps are from HestiaCP forums, but as everything on IT, we can never give you 100% guarantee. Having a backup of your data, even if you had not had these issues on your VPS, is a best practice to be followed, so before running any commands it is recommended to have an updated backup of your data.

I am escalating your topic so our root admins can provide additional information regarding your issue.

Playing around with Windows 3.x ist the best way to be convinced that computers aren't only logic but also magic. Things that work one day, but no more the next, or vice-versa. Thing that only work if others, apparently no related, are present, or don't work if they are present. I don't know if you did something on my VPS. If yes, it was the right thing. If not ... yeah, then it was just magic!

Hestia CP is back, with a new SSL certificate for 3 months. When I accessed it, all servers were running, except spam assassin, that I restarted without any problems.

Hestia has been updated to version 1.6.8, hestia-php to version 8.2.5 (as far as I remember this information is a new feature of the control panel). Remains a problem with hestia-nginx: in the updates section, version 1.23.0 is marked with a yellow exclamation mark. Does that mean that update failed? Or that something went wrong? What is the best action I can take to resolve this?

I'm really happy that things figured out this way. Having given up my website would have been having given up my conviction that, even if you live in the street, you can live a "normal" life, and do useful things that are helpful to other people. Thanks a lot to Kairion for his great support! This is what I like at HelioHost, and I hope that I can be a part of this great community for the next years....