Is Tommy down?

infantex

I can't reach my site (infantex.com.mx).

I can't log in to Plesk.

By the way, I use Cloudflare as proxy, shouldn't I be able to see my site up even if Tommy was down? I know this is more of question for Clodflare but you may know the answer.

Edit: I can't also connect to the POP server to retrieve messages (understandable if Tommy's down), what would happen to the incoming email? Will it be returned to sender?

Regards,

Ok thanks to let know that its down. I have notice because i cant access. Well i just hope that gonna be able to login, to "keep alive" my free personnal website and heliohost url name. Thanks for your time.

2 hours ago, Pansani said:

See the announcement below:

OK. I didn't know. That notice was given about 7 hours after I posted my question. Hopefully it will be resolved promptly. 

In the meantime, my question remains: What will happen to the undelivered mail? Will it be returned to the sender? Will it be lost with none the wiser? I am hoping the sending server, not being able to contact Tommy, will try to deliver it for a certain time (2, 3 days?) and, then, if Tommy is still down (nooo!), report it as undeliverable. But that maybe just wishful thinking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, infantex said:

In the meantime, my question remains: What will happen to the undelivered mail? Will it be returned to the sender? Will it be lost with none the wiser? I am hoping the sending server, not being able to contact Tommy, will try to deliver it for a certain time (2, 3 days?) and, then, if Tommy is still down (nooo!), report it as undeliverable. But that maybe just wishful thinking.

Generally mail servers retry for 4 or 5 days before giving up entirely, but there isn't a rule that says you have to try for a certain number of days, so each sending mail system may have a different limit. Yes, if the email can't be delivered at all the sender should receive a bounce back message saying their message wasn't delivered, but again it might depend on which mail service they're using to send the mail.

So if Tommy comes back online tomorrow or the day after you will probably not lose any mail, but it won't all show up as soon as the server comes online because the longer the server is down the less frequent the sending mail server will try. For instance, one failure means they will retry in 30 minutes or so, but after 24 hours of failures they may only try once every 4 hours. Once again all of these numbers are determined by the settings on the sending mail server, and there are no rules saying they have to do it a certain way.

Another thing you could consider is setting up a free Zoho account, or another free mail hosting service, and changing your MX records on your domain. When the sending mail server retries they will see the new MX record and send it to Zoho or whoever you use instead.

12 hours ago, Krydos said:

Another thing you could consider is setting up a free Zoho account, or another free mail hosting service, and changing your MX records on your domain. When the sending mail server retries they will see the new MX record and send it to Zoho or whoever you use instead.

You gave me the idea of setting the mail servers on my VPS (VPS40) but I must be doing something wrong because I can neither connect from GMail to retreive email, nor navigate to webmail.

I changed the DNS entries in Cloudflare to the VPS' s IP:

But, I get an error message when trying to connect from GMail... I disabled the proxy in Cloudflare for all the entries and I stopped receiving the error, but now it's locked with the message: "Checking new messages...". It's been like 5 minutes now. And, also, I can't still navigate to webmail.infantex.com.mx.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

image.png

Silly question, but do you actually have a mail server installed (and the appropriate mailboxes set up on it)? 

As for webmail, is the web server set up for a webmail subdomain? I get a 500 error, so either its set up and broken, or it's not set up.

6 hours ago, wolstech said:

Silly question, but do you actually have a mail server installed (and the appropriate mailboxes set up on it)? 

As for webmail, is the web server set up for a webmail subdomain? I get a 500 error, so either its set up and broken, or it's not set up.

Well, I suppose it is. I just added a mail domain in HestiaCP and added three accounts there:

(I tried to add a screenshot here but since this morning I'm getting the error: "You can opload a total of 21.8 kB", well, in the morning the limit was 70-something).

Here´s a link to the image of the list of email accounts: https://screencast-o-matic.com/i/c0nherVxADH

Image of mail domain configuration: https://screencast-o-matic.com/i/c0nhe0VxAD7

Image of an example account configuration: https://screencast-o-matic.com/i/c0nheTVxADR

I don't know if I have to activate the mail server somewhere else in HestiaCP.

Edit: GMail is reading correctly the two accounts I setup this morning. I didn't do anything, just let it rest. So POP3 seems to be working. webmail is still not accesible.

Edited by infantex

Update: Configured the other infantex.com.mx email accounts in GMail, both reading (POP3) and sending (SMTP). Everything seemed to be OK, received several emails after configuring, so it seems to be working. Send an email and also worked... but it landed in spam. I may need to recheck my DMARC/DKIM/SPF configuration. The only thing I did was to add the VPS's IP to the SPF record, so now it reads: "v=spf1 ip4:65.19.141.77 ip4:65.19.141.197 ~all". I didn't change the DKIM record (I don't remember where I got the current value.)

Configured also mail for zaldivar.mx. SPF record for that domain is a little different, though: "v=spf1 a mx ip4:65.19.141.77 ip4:65.19.141.197 -all"

Still, no webmail (for any of the domains).

The SPFs look fine. I'm not sure if or how hesita supplies webmail access, so can't really answer that one. You could always set up a subdomain and install your own though. Round cube is free to download.

I'd remove the DKIM value entirely. The value probably came from Plesk (it gives you one to use when you set DKIM up), but will be wrong for mail being sent from your VPS. Gmail is very sensitive about spam, and while it should still deliver since the SPF is valid, you never really know with Gmail. (If mail fails both DKIM and spf, Gmail won't even deliver it to spam...it just discards it and sends a message back to the sender).

On 2/5/2023 at 6:28 AM, masthst said:

I don't know about your webmail and control panel, but your site (infantex.com.mx) seems back up.

Just an expired security certificate, you may have to update that.

his site is up because he has a VPS. it's not running on plesk tommy

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 1:17 AM, infantex said:

Update: Configured the other infantex.com.mx email accounts in GMail, both reading (POP3) and sending (SMTP). Everything seemed to be OK, received several emails after configuring, so it seems to be working. Send an email and also worked... but it landed in spam. I may need to recheck my DMARC/DKIM/SPF configuration. The only thing I did was to add the VPS's IP to the SPF record, so now it reads: "v=spf1 ip4:65.19.141.77 ip4:65.19.141.197 ~all". I didn't change the DKIM record (I don't remember where I got the current value.)

Configured also mail for zaldivar.mx. SPF record for that domain is a little different, though: "v=spf1 a mx ip4:65.19.141.77 ip4:65.19.141.197 -all"

Still, no webmail (for any of the domains).

Your DMARC should be ok since it is per domain and not per server/per host. Your SPF, as wolstech said, is correct as well.

About your DKIM you can get it on your HetiaCP > DNS > Click on your domain > You will find a TXT record named "mail._domainkey". Edit it and copy its value and add it to your DNS hosting with the same name.

Per HestiaCP default, your webmail should be accessible from the address webmail.infantex.com.mx, but you need to make sure your DNS hosting has an A record (named webmail) pointing towards your VPS' IP address (the same with MAIL, IMAP, SMTP, and POP)

Finally, to try to know why your message was sent to spam it would be necessary to check its header. I'm guessing you sent a message to your own Gmail, right? If that is the case please open that message, click on the three dots, and then click on "Show original":

image.png.9e53dfd153e04d094e691b1e0d01fa94.pngimage.png.a2da93236301e085c3c48c434f4d99a5.png

With the original message opened click on "Copy to clipboard", click on "Download Original" or just copy the entire text below the simplified header showed on that page and post it here (warning: message headers contain all data on your message, including your and your receiver's mail addresses, you can redact those for privacy before posting here).

11 hours ago, Kairion said:

About your DKIM you can get it on your HetiaCP > DNS > Click on your domain > You will find a TXT record named "mail._domainkey". Edit it and copy its value and add it to your DNS hosting with the same name.

Since my DNS is hosted by Cloudflare, there's nothing under DNS. So no mail._domainkey record to copy from.

DNS page in HestiaCP image: https://screencast-o-matic.com/i/c0nifCVxC9n

I found (https://forum.hestiacp.com/t/solved-invalid-signature-of-dkim/3028) that when using an external DNS service, you can use the `v-list-mail-domain-dkim-dns` command to query the correct records. However, it didn't work for me. I get an error:

infantex@vps40:~$ v-list-mail-domain-dkim-dns infantx infantex.com.mx
/usr/local/hestia/func/main.sh: line 1548: /usr/local/hestia/conf/hestia.conf: Permission denied
Error: user infantx doesn't exist
/usr/local/hestia/func/main.sh: line 100: /usr/local/hestia/log/error.log: Permission denied
infantex@vps40:

I have three users in HestiaCP: admin, infantx and zaldivar. The infantex.com.mx domain belongs to the infantx user, but I get the same error no matter which user I enter. I even tried with user infantex (the user I to log into my VPS with) to no avail.

Users image: https://screencast-o-matic.com/i/c0nifpVxCPN

11 hours ago, Kairion said:

Per HestiaCP default, your webmail should be accessible from the address webmail.infantex.com.mx, but you need to make sure your DNS hosting has an A record (named webmail) pointing towards your VPS' IP address (the same with MAIL, IMAP, SMTP, and POP)

I do have an A webmail record pointing to my VPS's IP in Cloudflare.

DNS records in Cloudflare image: https://screencast-o-matic.com/i/c0nifGVxC9F

Note: I still can´t post images in messages (it complains about exceding a maximum image size, 21 KB today). Is this something you have recently changed? I used to post screenshoots without problems before.