[Solved] "AllowOverride Options" no longer in httpd.conf for Options +ExecCGI ?

milano

Restored and moved to Plesk as one of the final accounts, as hinted by the error_log I had to comment out the leading Options +ExecCGI line from my .htaccess that needs to SetHandler cgi-script to use Perl outside cgi-bin (for hardcoded clients that can't be changed).

Could it be that Tommy's httpd.conf before its outage had "AllowOverride Options" which hasn't been reinstated yet?

Plesk does not support the Options directive in htaccess. (Most are asking about it for the +Indexes option but still…)

Krydos was going to see about fixing that at some point but he hasn’t gotten to it yet.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, milano said:

Any news on this option?

Hi @milano,

I used the following directives in my PyInfo scripts and they are running just fine both on Tommy and Johnny:

Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .py
DirectoryIndex index.py

Could you please test again and let us know if you managed to run your Perl script(s)?

• 4 weeks later...

The moment I uncomment Options +ExecCGI from .htaccess (even if it is its only line),
I get 500 Internal Server Error,
even for Perl (without file type extension) in cgi-bin, i.e. where it otherwise works by default.

Log says [core:alert] /home/milano.heliohost.org/public_html/.htaccess: Options not allowed here                Apache error

12 hours ago, milano said:

The moment I uncomment Options +ExecCGI from .htaccess (even if it is its only line),
I get 500 Internal Server Error,
even for Perl (without file type extension) in cgi-bin, i.e. where it otherwise works by default.

Log says [core:alert] /home/milano.heliohost.org/public_html/.htaccess: Options not allowed here                Apache error

Hi @milano,

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems to be something related to your account, possibly a bug caused by the migration from cPanel to Plesk.

I will escalate your case to our root admins so they can look into it.

PS: It may be necessary to delete and recreate your account, so I strongly recommend that you make a full backup of your data. Of course, no action that could affect your data will be taken until you acknowledge and approve it first, but you can prepare in advance so that if they deem it necessary, you will have already done it.

4 hours ago, Kairion said:

possibly a bug caused by the migration from cPanel to Plesk.

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion we've arrived at. Accounts that were transferred from cPanel to Plesk are unable to use Options, but accounts that were created directly on Plesk are able to. It's extra perplexing because Options was allowed on cPanel so it's strange that it gets turned off somehow during the transfer. There are 8031 places in the Apache configuration files where the issue could be, and a similar number on Johnny so it makes it difficult to figure out where the issue is. Furthermore, each time the Apache configuration changes it takes 2 hours for the changes to appear to find out if it is fixed yet. Probably the best way to solve this is to try transferring an account to Morty where we can restart Apache every 5 seconds to test changes because there are no accounts on there yet rather than trying to figure it out on a live production server with thousands of accounts. It's definitely on my todo list.

Anyways as far as ways to fix the issue immediately, probably the simplest way is for you to make a full backup, delete the broken account, and create a new account directly on Plesk so it doesn't have this issue anymore, and then restore your backup onto the new account. If this is something you'd like to do please let us know when you're done backing everything up and any moderator+ can delete your account for you and send an invite to recreate it.

Thanks, I've downloaded both ZIP and tar (the latter incl. the dovecot maildirs) via Plesk, so please feel free to delete and (let me) recreate the account.

This can be done under the same name and path(s)?

You can't actually register username.heliohost.org domains anymore because we had issues with phishing accounts getting our main heliohost.org domain flagged by services that didn't realize that we allowed our users to create subdomains. So when you recreate your account you'll need to pick a temporary username.heliohost.us domain or a username.helioho.st domain. If you'd like your username.heliohost.org back any moderator or higher can change the domain for you. If you'd prefer the new .us or .st domain anyways you can definitely keep it though.

Anyways, I have deleted your account and sent you an invite to recreate your account.

Options is accepted in .htaccess now.👍

The subdomain's root (when created in Plesk from scratch rather than migrated) has changed from public_html to httpdocs,
and it no longer seems to be below /home/milano, nor /etc/psa/psa.conf's default vhosts_dir like /var/www/vhosts/milano.heliohost.org, but /home/milano.heliohost.org instead.

Below it there is also a logs folder which stays empty for now, but access and errors can be seen through Plesk > Websites & Domains > Logs.

Hope this helps others adapt their scripts as well.

4 hours ago, milano said:

but /home/milano.heliohost.org instead.

Yeah, even transferred accounts are /home/domain/ rather than /home/username/ like on cPanel. None of us like it. I've been looking for a way to change it to back to /home/username/ but haven't found a way yet.

• Krydos changed the title to [Solved] "AllowOverride Options" no longer in httpd.conf for Options +ExecCGI ?
  • Krydos locked this topic