[Answered] Which mechanism to use when lending your password to other developer?

orange77

Hello, this question is more to help when dealing with this situation: I want another developer to help me in developing my website. The thing is I have to lend him my username and password, so that he can connect to my database and send files to your server via FTP. But I believe there's also another possibility: I can lend him the config.php script file, without my official password and username. The developer can install XAMPP in his machine, then I send him the whole database in sql so that he can modify the whole structure. And then when he finishes, he sends all the files back to me. I think it's more secure. What do you think? What mechanism do you recommend? Because I don't want this guy to steal my Heliohost account. Thanks.

Edited by allan88

Share the files, not the account. That's how most development is done.

For two people you can just share the files with him, if there's going to be more than that, you might want to look into something like git so you have some form of version control and can track who changes what.

Share the files, not the account. That's how most development is done.

For two people you can just share the files with him, if there's going to be more than that, you might want to look into something like git so you have some form of version control and can track who changes what.

Yes, good idea. That's what I was thinking of doing. Thank you!