Is evolution real?

Evolution  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you believe in what scientists (and everyone else) call evolution?

I do believe in evolution, but I do understand people do not think evolution is real because of their religious beliefs. So, I want to see what people here think of evolution.

Tell your side of the story here.

Reasons I believe in evolution:

• I do not believe in God,so my religious beliefs do not counter evolution
  • There is physical proof of gradual change in animals until they become a new species (fossils)
  • Evolution is considered a theory. In Science (as I learned in school), a theory is a well-tested concept backed up by a good amount of evidence
  • Scientists believe it
  • It makes sense

You're pouring gasoline around yourself and giving kids matches with this thread.

On another note, they finally decided to teach evolution here in Florida, but they are only referring to it as a theory. Then again, theories are actually stronger than the name suggest. If you know your science, you know that it takes masses of data to make a theory, and it hasn't been disproven yet.

I have an idea for those religious people. See if God created the original creatures on the Earth, and then everything evolved from the few original creatures. It makes sense to me, but whatever.

At my school (In Southern California), they teach evolution, too.

I have an idea for those religious people. See if God created the original creatures on the Earth, and then everything evolved from the few original creatures. It makes sense to me, but whatever.

At my school (In Southern California), they teach evolution, too.

Many religious zealots would argue that God created all creatures, no evolution necessary. Evolution and Christianity don't mix. (as far as I know.)

To Wizard: the fact that evolution hasn't been disproved doesn't make it 100% guaranteed truth, either...but it does seem (all religious beliefs aside), the most viable theory for this particular brand of "What-happened-before-we-started-keeping-records-of-everything."

But I believe the idea of evolution can easily be reconciled with religion (yes, Christianity too).

To Wizard: the fact that evolution hasn't been disproved doesn't make it 100% guaranteed truth, either...but it does seem (all religious beliefs aside), the most viable theory for this particular brand of "What-happened-before-we-started-keeping-records-of-everything."

Your claim makes no sense what-so-ever.

Just because we can't disprove gravity, doesn't make it 100% guaranteed either. I will take my chances that gravity and evolution exist.

But I believe the idea of evolution can easily be reconciled with religion (yes, Christianity too).

Please elaborate.

Did how many people did god make?

BTW: Do you also believe the universe is 6,000 years old?

I thought the big dude upstairs (at least from Christianity) made two people, and everyone else descended from them. Then when they were making a tower to the dude's house, he got mad and made everyone speak different languages, and so different cultures emerged from that.

I don't personally believe that the Universe is 6k years old.

Of course evolution is real whether being psychical or mental.

Back in the 1700's or something stealing bread was a jail able crime now we get off with a warning, that is mental evolution, we have changed the way we think.

Physical evolution - Why do we have to get our flu shots? Because the flu is evolving into something different every year and outgrowing the old vaccines..

Just my 2 cents.

Well if the entire human race descended from two people, how do you explain our vast genetic diversity? (if you want to get technical the differences are very finite. But the differences between an ape and a human are also very small).

Viruses mutate.

Since viruses are not technically alive, does that count as evolution?

Evolution is not just biological. Everything evolves into a more stable state. Even atoms evolve to become more stable. Evolution is really a concept of holding the longest period of time, being most probable, or simply lasting longer. Everything evolves into a state in which it is more stable, thus we observe it more due to it's increased probability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think there's no doubt about the persistance of evolution. There is so much evidence for evolution. You just cannot ignore that. But to be honest, there is also lack of evidence. Like for instance the so called "missing links" (intermediate forms between different species). This is normal, because the fossil records are fragmentary. Not every animal or plant that once lived on this planet has been fossilised. So, the fossil records will allways remain incomplete. And this lack of data is being exploited by "creationists" as an argument against the evolutionary theory. I think that's just not honest. Unfortunately, this attitude makes it very difficult (if not impossible) for representatives of both theories to have a discussion that makes sence. Personnaly I think that evolution is not against the idea of a presence of God.

Regards,

zippo