Traffic Exchange

mrj

Hi Admins

I have an idea. But I'm not sure if it is a good or dumb one. What if you guys setup a web traffic exchange site for heliohost users? The site will be only for users to exchange traffic. While this exchange site hosting from heliohost, people will love it. What is your opinion, please let me know.

Those sorts of sites are rather well known for being bad for search ratings. While they do help generate traffic, the majority of that traffic ends up being bots and other uninterested visitors.

Plus, they can sometimes get your site associated with link spamming and other things you'd rather your site not be associated with (malware, warez, etc.)

Yeah you are right. But I have mentioned that the site will be only for heliohost users. You must have any way which will verify if registered site from heliohost or not. All I am saying that the site will be powered by heliohost and for heliohost users. The reason for making this site is for growing traffic of heliohost sites. So users will have traffic and you have a chance to put ads on that site. So we all heliohost community would be happy. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

-1 This is bad for SEO for any website associated with this.

It's better to organically grow your website via Reddit/social media imo.

If you have a audience they most likely don't care about other unrelated websites.

We do have a thread for sharing websites as @Krydos mentioned.

https://www.helionet.org/index/topic/58-websites/

• Like 1

Despite traffic exchanges in the conventional sense being useless and bad for search rankings, there is potential here.

What about a manually vetted showcase of what our users have manage to do with our service instead of a traditional traffic exchange?

We used to do an annual best website of HelioHost contest where everyone would submit their sites for a month, and then we'd vote for a month and the highest ranking site hosted on our servers would earn double storage space. The reason we stopped doing it was because it took a lot of effort on the part of the admins, and I've got enough stuff to do. If one of the other community member wants to undertake some sort of project like this it's fine with me, and I'll help with what you need.

@mrj I don't recommend using PHP here since it is probably a security risk.. and probably slow.

I recommend using plain HTML.

@Krydos as for verification, would a text file in <website>/.well-known/heliohost.txt suffice?