[Solved] Can't Update To Jm 3.8

fuzmic

Appreciate your help as it do take time to fit into the world full of changes. I will see what other way i can do this update. Or if i can further understand what softa... did during an installation or how i can register my existing public_html for it to manage. Peace

PS On further thought & checking: As i can update at localhost or other website, i will still want to try to do it a HelioHost dropping the idea of using Softa..,this is a more direct way.

If i can do it, i will certainly share, meanwhile if anyone has anything to help, appreciate you drop a line.

Edited by fuzmic

More ...

At Joomla BackEnd, the update went to extent of proceeding to use the uploaed 3.8-update.zip from Jm but resulting error:

"Could not open archive part file home/f..mic/public_html/tmp/jus6N4eFA for reading. Check that the file exits, is readable by the web server & is not in a directoyr made out of reach chroot, open_basedir restrictions or any other restriction pu in place by your host."
Is there a way to solve this from the above angle?
I am using the "Upload & Update" dialog of Jm backend to try this. There is already a prewarning of "php temporary folder not set"
Hope someone can move this.
Edited by fuzmic

Root Admin i have followed that method in my past upgrade of Joomla, it certainly works. But from v3.8 onwards we can't over ride the old files and try to fix the database plus 2nd step. I have tried on my localhost, if we use this old way the whole site stop.

I am actually following Jm new instructions & is able to duplicate their instructions in my other web site and in the localhost. So we have to move on the path as i posted earlier

Still trying to find the real reasons. Kyrdos, Thanks for the follow through. Kind Regards.

Friends

I found the "Import" method in Softaculous login and is working to set up my website details in their server. Once done i presume all the problems of upgrading to Jm3.8 is resolved.

Let you guys know when done.

Hi guys (Resolved)

Just to share my experience on how to upgrade to Jm3.8 from Jm3.7.5 ; this is not possible from Jm BackEnd at HelioHost which is the start of this thread. (After this experience I still think HH server has some folders that does not provide for this.)

On asking at the start of this thread, Krydos point me to Softaculous which HelioHost paid for the linkage. To get to this feature you need to access your cpanel using this https://docs.joomla....xisting_version

My mission is to update my already installed jm3.7.5 keeping all its extensions. This is called "Import", not "Installation" (latter a totally fresh installation)

For this "import" In the Softaculous interface when you log in using index.live.php, after the "import" click, your domain name is shown, then just click the "Import". Once done, your website is registered in Softa.. system.

Thereafter Softa.. will tell you you need an Jm update, just follow its instruction, you can also do the backup at the same time. Make sure the 100% is completed. You can look at this thread for more details: https://www.softaculous.com/board/index.php?tid=13394

Final note: You cannot update from Jm BackEnd, it can only be done within Sofa...

Edited by fuzmic