How To Switch To A New Domain?

incog

I've recently got a new domain. Now I want my current domain 'point' to the new one (when I type 'old.heliohost.org' I want myself redirected to 'new.com'). At the same time I don't want to lose my current domain as I may need it if something goes wrong with the new domain, for example.

So, I've searched the Net for this and found some examples of how to do this using '.htaccess' (eg. http://whaaat.com/content/redirect-old-domain-new-domain-using-htaccess). Following this example, I did the following:

<CODE>

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^old.heliohost.org$ [OR]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.old.heliohost.org$ [OR]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.new.com$

RewriteRule (.*)$ http://new.com/$1 [R=301,L]

</CODE>

Then I typed 'new.com' into my browser. The main page including CSS files were loaded OK, but all the images and some scripts disappeared (I didn't touch the contents of this page).

I've read about the DomainChange script (http://www.heliohost.org/home/support/scripts/domain), but it should eliminate my old domain, shouldn't it?

What to do? How to redirect my old domain to the new one?

You don't use htaccess. Just set your new domain's nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org, then park somenewdomain.com in cpanel. It will point to your whatever.heliohost.org automatically and show the same content.

Also, be aware that it takes 24-48 hours for the parked domain to start working once you park it.

You don't use htaccess. Just set your new domain's nameservers to ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org, then park somenewdomain.com in cpanel. It will point to your whatever.heliohost.org automatically and show the same content.

Also, be aware that it takes 24-48 hours for the parked domain to start working once you park it.

I've written the original post when the parked domain was already working, but it was simply redirecting me to my old domain. What I want is to have both domains (when I type 'old.heliohost.org' I want myself to get redirected to 'new.com' and when I type 'new.com' I don't want to see 'old.heliohost.org' in the address bar).

Based on that, the software you installed on your site is doing the redirect, not the server. If you remove your htaccess file and index page from the public_html folder, does it still happen?

If so, the issue is the software installed on your account, not the server. There's probably a setting in the software somewhere for your website domain that needs to be changed.