Easiest Way To Implement A Simple Site With Previous/next/ Etc.?

Hi guys,

I am making a website for my different kinds of art and I want to just make a simple, non-cluttered page where I can display a piece of content, usually just an image, without making individual html pages for each piece of content? Ideally, if I upload an image to a special folder, it would be automatically added to its own 'page' from which the user could navigate backwards or forwards.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=121

This is an example of everything I want. I don't think I even want the mini blog section. I read some things about Joomla and installed it, which seemed bloated and I read you have to edit it to have the code for the page order to work correctly. Wordpress has way too much stuff on the top, sides, and bottom, and after a few hours of messing with it I can't see it working for what I want.

Is there any software I can install that would allow for this? If not, how hard would it be for me to make something from scratch that fit these goals? I do have experience with programming but not in PHP, although I do have a friend who is rather good at it.

Thanks