[Solved] Using Ftp And Phpmyadmin Brings The Sites Down

stgeorge

I already know that there are limited processes set on accounts, such as logging into cPanel will bring the sites down for the account until logged out of cPanel.

The more I look at the resources that cPanel uses the more I am of the opinion that it is no longer a suitable Control Panel for shared hosting.

After all it is cPanel themselves that have introduced CPU as a main factor in monitoring and administration of accounts, when in fact cPanel itself is the resource HOG.

Personally I would like to see all shared hosting providers switch to Webmin for Admin and Virtualmin for accounts.

They are much more stable and are resource friendly.

cPanel itself has become useless for Clients in my opinion.

However the problem I have at the moment is that even using FTP to connect to the Server so that files can be modified is now also bringing the sites down.

This is not a regular occurrence but does happen enough times as to me not wishing to attempt to use it.

The problem is even if I directly log into phpMyAdmin to circumvent using cPanel, I still bring the sites down while I am downloading back up databases.

It is not until I close phpMyAdmin that the sites come back up again and that is after a minute or so.

Now the same is happening with FTP.

Except that FTP brings the sites down for longer.

My questions are this:

1/ Is there any way to alter the process allowance so that we van login to phpMyAdmin without bringing the Sites down?

2/ Why is FTP causing problems and now bringing the sites down, after all FTP is not a resource problem, (or it should not be)?

Don't get me wrong the service on Heliohost has been excellent since the restriction on processes has restricted abuse or resource hogging, however there has to be a way to get backups without affecting the sites.

Phpmyadmin bringing your site down is VERY annoying. I have the same problem with it, and it's extremely frustrating. FTP is usually fine for uploading though unless I have CP open at the same time.

Is your FTP issue happening when downloading files by chance? If so, and it goes completely down (i.e. timeouts, not internal server errors) for about 20 minutes, it's a known issue caused by HH's DoS protection being oversensitive.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're talking about 500 errors on php files when logging into phpmyadmin or cpanel or other process intensive activities it is likely your account is hitting the process limit. If your account is at or exceeding the process limit and a php file is requested it will return 500 internal server error because your account already is at or exceeding the maximum number of processes that it can run at a time. The solution is to not open multiple process intensive activities at the same time. Connect to ftp without anything else connected; connect to phpmyadmin without anything else connected; check your mail without anything else connected, etc. It kind of is a pain, I agree, but it's there to prevent abuse. I've been looking into ways to increase or remove this limit without opening a lot of new ways for abusers to take down the entire system. One account showing a few errors during website admin activity for a few minutes is better than the entire server crashing over and over.

Certain people are able to trigger the automatic DDoS protection by using FTP. If this occurs your will not be able to connect to the server for the duration of your ban. I've never been able to replicate it myself for testing, but multiple people have reported that every time they try to download hundreds of files through FTP at the same time they get blocked. Uploading seems not to trigger it either. I suspect it has something to do with their ISP and connections not being closed properly. A solution is to use the cPanel backup utilities to create one large zipped file, and then download that through FTP. Obviously having automated DoS protection enabled is a good thing, but I'm willing to fine tune it if I can get some feedback on what normal usage does and does not trigger it.

If you're talking about FTP causing the 500 internal server error on php files then the solution is to limit the concurrent ftp processes that your client uses. If you limit FTP to using 1 or 2 processes it won't cause that error anymore. By default a lot of FTP clients use as many processes as they can which would cause 500 errors.