[Answered] Heliohost - Johnny Server Connection

danny0000d

Hey I got a website on the server johnny and every time I try to sync my data with the server to update the site, dreamweaver keeps on disconnecting me and sayying parameter is invaild, so I was wondering is it the way I am connectiong to the server or just a problem on my site.

Here are a few questions I have about connectiong to the server. (I connect through ftp)

1.) Should Passive FTP be checked?

2.) Does the server use a IPV6 Transfer Mode?

3.) Should Alternative FTP move method be checked?

4.) Do I select the server as remote and testing?

5.) Is there a better way to connect to the server than FTP?

Passive FTP should be checked. The server does not use IPv6 (yet). I'm guessing that the alternative move method should not be checked. I'm also guessing you should set it as remote, but not testing. FTP is generally the fastest method to transfer files, but dreamweaver's FTP client is not that great compared to some others.

The internet uses an addressing system, called Internet Protocol, to identify each computer on the internet, much like an actual address. This system is able to handle, let's say (not going to look up the exact number) a million addresses before it runs out of numbers. Today, (again, probably inaccurate, but not going to look up the number) there are about two million computers on the internet. How is this possible? It is possible because of something called NAT routing, which sort of crams a few computers on one Internet Protocol address. However, NAT has it's disadvantages, particularly because it makes it hard to reach the computer over the internet without advanced configuration. Also, most server administrators need to have a dedicated IP because of other issues. Therefore, the internet is being switched by ISPs to a new addressing system called IP version 6. This new system can (for example) handle a billion IPs, so that everyone can have their own IP.

I like WS FTP from IP Switch http://www.ipswitchft.com/ . They used to offer a free version and may still offer it free to students and non-profits but the latest version I downloaded was only a trial and expired.

This what our wiki says about uploading files to your site - http://wiki.helionet.org/Uploading_files_to_your_site

You are using your username@yourdomainname.com to log in, right? like username@360degreenetworking.com I guess we will know for sure when you get that screenshot to xaav. You're in good hands with him.

Oh sorry, I meant to say it keeps on saying Operation Timed Out, every time I sync with the server. Got any advise for me? Oh yeah, and I was wondering does heliohost plan to use IPv6 for their servers, and if they do will they inform anyone? I also notice a mistake on the heliohost website, that it says all servers use php verision 5.3.1; I use johnny and stevie and they both say php version 5.3.8 not 5.3.1. Also do they plan to upgrade to the php 5.4 at anytime soon or do we have to wait? Sorry just got a lot of questions.

I would still like a screenshot, so I can help you with your FTP problem. I am unable to reproduce that problem on my end.

Oh yeah, and I was wondering does heliohost plan to use IPv6 for their servers, and if they do will they inform anyone?

We will support IPv6 as soon as cPanel implements this. IPv6 support will also allow the use of SSL for free.

I also notice a mistake on the heliohost website, that it says all servers use php verision 5.3.1; I use johnny and stevie and they both say php version 5.3.8 not 5.3.1.

Thank you for reporting this. Nobody is perfect; and we will fix this as soon as we can get around to it.

Also do they plan to upgrade to the php 5.4 at anytime soon or do we have to wait?

We will have PHP 5.4 support shortly after it is released. If you look on the PHP site, it says:

THIS IS A RELEASE CANDIDATE - DO NOT USE IT IN PRODUCTION!.

If you are anxious about PHP 5.4 support, you can contact the PHP group and tell them that you would like for them to speed up their development.

• Like 1

If you are on windows:

1. Press PRINT SCREEN in the upper right section of your keyboard.

2. Open paint (surely you don't need help with this).

3. Press Control AND "V" (in that order).

4. Save the image, then upload it to imageshack or your preferred image host.